The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One-handed switch (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Anybody know of a good left-handed deck switch? The context would be that the right hand is holding up a card on which the patter and the audience's attention is focused, and the left hand has to do the switch during the misdirection of a color change with the right hand's card. Apart from using a switch bag, or a trouser fold holdout and lap (for table), or a pocket switch (for standup), are there any better techniques?
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
What about a deck shell?
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never used a deck shell. It doesn't seem like you could do it very easily with one hand, however.

Since it's for a color-changing deck routine I don't want to call attention to the deck or make the audience feel like they've lost sight of it for any length of time, so it probably wouldn't work for this specific purpose.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
A deck shell would be a good bet.
I use them quite often. never aroused suspicion or anything of the sort.
good luck !

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Matt... have you read the previous post at all before replying? How would he use the deck shell one handed?

On a side note Scorch, why isn't handing out the card to a spectator or tabling it or anything else an option as you could perform a two handed switch?
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I can't hand the card out because it's gaffed. I suppose I could work on the presentation and patter to see if tabling it would be an option.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Scorch,
Try using a toppit (mounted on the right side of your coat) and have the deck you want to switch-in in your upper LEFT sleeve right below the armpit area (Held using a large clip if you need a good amount of time before the drop). Before you begin, reach into your left inside jacket pocket with the right hand and bring out the FIRST deck..while your hand is in your jacket, simply squeez the clip, sending deck No.2 down the sleeve to the elbow area. Perform the effect as you would keeping your left arm somewhat in a level manner as to keep the deck from moving any further down your sleeve and when time comes to make the switch, USE the toppit to dispose of the first deck and with that movement you make the second deck is delivered into your palm while you toss the first deck into your toppit.
THIS WORKS, I know...I am left handed and have been using this method for years and have NEVER been busted on it. Give it a try, Hope that helps you LEFTY!
KEN W.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Thanks Ken. I don't own a toppit but more and more I keep finding reasons to get one. Though I am trying to search for a real, practical, impromptu solution here.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Impromptu sometimes takes much prep. Just watch those magicians you admire: "They always make it look so simple to do."
The invested time neccessary to master anything is worth the effort. Think about learning the benefits of such a wonderful tool as the Toppit and those effects where you wish to give the illussion of "Impromptu" will come.
KW
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Tommy Wonder, Tommy Wonder, Tommy Wonder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One-handed switch (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL