The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Looking for a few things (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Hi All,

I am just getting back into magic and in the interim have been saved (for about 5 years now). I have picked up a few skills since then as well as developed the patter for those illusions that I feel I know. I have been using them as object lessons for the gospel and they have had great results. What I'm looking for is:

1) Someone (or more than one someone) who I can talk to, bounce ideas off of, and fellowship with in Northern Alabama.

2) I'm looking to add some illusions (specifically vanishes right now) into a few of the dramas our youth drama team is working on. I would like them to be as clean as possible. I would be happy to discuss the few ideas that I have with someone.

Also, while I'm here, I would like to ask for prayer. Our church (Liberty Church in Arab) is getting ready to start a new youth ministry. We've already seen God's hand moving in preparation for this and want to make sure that we do everything according to His will and timing.

Thanks,

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Welcome to the Café, Mike! This is a great forum for bouncing ideas off of people, and learning as well as contributing! I think you'll find what you're looking for here online, but if you're also looking for live interaction, check out a local Fellowship of Christian Magicians (FCM) group, or perhaps there are some gospel magicians in your local IBM or SAM groups as well. What is your location? Maybe there are some folks on the Magic Café who live near you. Nice to have you online with us here, and God bless! -Jeff
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
Indeed your local FCM will be able to help.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Quote:
On 2006-04-29 21:21, jkvand wrote:
Welcome to the Café, Mike! This is a great forum for bouncing ideas off of people, and learning as well as contributing! I think you'll find what you're looking for here online, but if you're also looking for live interaction, check out a local Fellowship of Christian Magicians (FCM) group, or perhaps there are some gospel magicians in your local IBM or SAM groups as well. What is your location? Maybe there are some folks on the Magic Café who live near you. Nice to have you online with us here, and God bless! -Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I am in Arab, Alabama. I know that there is a FCM group in Huntsville. I'm not sure about the others though. When I get a chance, I will post the type of vanish that I'm trying to work on in more detail.

Thanks again and God Bless you too!

Mike
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Ok. I know that it's been a few days (I've been busy with work and ministry things!) but here is an explanation of the type of thing that I'm trying to work out. Our youth drama team has a couple of dramas where there are people in black robes representing demons. The robes are full length (sometimes longer!) and also have a cowl. We are currently trying to design a way where they could vanish leaving only a pile of cloth. We had an idea about using stiff cardboard around the bottom hem about 8-12 inches high and having the demons drop down into a ball with the cloth falling around and on top of them. We haven't tried it yet though. If anyone has any other ideas or could give me some direction I would greatly appreciate it. Another idea we had along the same lines is for a rapture drama. In it we would have people in the audience disappear. That one is just in the "I would love to do that but don't have a clue how" stage....

Thanks,

Mike
Spidey
View Profile
New user
Indianapolis, IN
20 Posts

Profile of Spidey
Hey guys. This might seem like a stupid question, but I just saw this FCM link and took a look. You see, I am getting ready to go to Cincinnati Christian University. I am planning on being a youth minister. Anyway, I guess what I am trying to ask is, is there anything I need to do to join this FCM? I think it is an awesome idea. I want to be able to use magic in the ministry and I feel this is the place to learn how to do that. Also, could someone tell me exactly what FCM is and does? I am new at this magic thing so you can feel free to give me some tips on where to go for being able to use magic in a ministry, that would be great! thanks.

Spidey
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
Spidey -
The link for the Fellowship of Christians Magicians is found here:

http://www.fcm.org/

All the info. you need is found there.

I have been a member for a few years and have been educated and encouraged by many of the brothers and sisters in this great organization. These folks have really helped me grow my ministry.

peace,
phill
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Spidey
I live east of Cincinnati. I am belong to the FCM and will be attending the July, International convention at Indiana Wesleyan in Marion.

If you would like to PM me I would be glad to discuss Magic in the Ministry or help you in any way.

I have a program at a church in Glenco Ky. in two weeks. It is an opener for their VBS.

You can find lots of help through the FCM.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Kerry Kistler
View Profile
Loyal user
Springfield, MO
234 Posts

Profile of Kerry Kistler
Hi Mike,

Your "vanishing demons" is a cool idea but will take some doing if you really want to leave a pile of cloth on the stage (ala The Wicked Witch of the West). I know of ways to do "boxless" switches using stage wings and drapes, etc. but can only see a stage trap to accomplish your desired effect. There are other draped wire frames and tables ala Asrah but they would be pretty complicated to construct, stage and pull off.

Consider a single vanish of the "lead demon" using a large Tip Over trunk, Flash Appearance (done in reverse) or other similar illusion. Accent with a concealed fog machine behind the box and light the moment with some red gels.

Another thought: how about forcing a demon into a sword box with a Bible as your weapon and insert each sword in sync with appropriate Bible narration about resisting the powers of darkness, etc. Open the "empty" cabinet with a poof of smoke (using a Wiz Kote kind of set up) and the demon is vanquished by the power of the Word which is sharper than any two-edged sword.

Hey, let us know what you work out. We'd love to hear your solution.

Cheerio,
Kerry
Andrew Jeffrey
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Andrew Jeffrey
Wow! I didn't realise that there was an FCM forum on the Magic Café. Just too dumb to notice, I guess. Anyway,greetings from Brighton, England where I am currently unable to sleep and hence surfing somewhat aimlessly...

I am a Christian Magician living in the UK, and currently deputy head of a lovely independent school in Brighton.

I look forward to reading more about what FCM members are doing around the world.

Andrew Jeffrey
http://www.andrewjeffrey.co.uk
tomcat
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of tomcat
You could always do a reverse shadow routine. Pushing a good looking, too good to be true, person selling "lies, pleasure and power" etc. into the shadow box where his "real" identity is shown. Make the shadow box look like a church or use the above bible verses to watch him change in the shadows. You could play off the evil loves to be in darkness but in the light his real nature is exposed... and then you see some horns for visual effect on the demons head... throw in a tail. You get the idea. Make him disappear using your favorite exorcism (I have 2000 of them) and poof you have vanquished your demon.

just an idea...
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Hello,

If the demons wear hooded cloaks, like the grim reaper. You could walk the talking one off stage just before the vanish (with some misdirection so no one would notice) and bring look-a-like demons back on stage made by empty cloaks, supported by wire frames at the hood and shoulders using an overhead wire, thread and pulley system - release the strings and the cloaks drop to the floor.

Good trap doors are so hard to find these days.

I hope this helps.
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Macbeth
View Profile
Regular user
London
129 Posts

Profile of Macbeth
Welcome Andrew,
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mike,

Have asked around the Ring 35 in Birmingham?

http://www.seam2006.com/ In August could help you with a lot of local contacts. It meets the first Tuesday of each month at the Homewood Library.

You're not the Lone Ranger!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Thanks for the answers everyone. I would love to discuss this more. I am pretty busy right now but will elaborate and develop as I can.

I also have another idea for an illusion having to do with the resurrection but I guess I should go one at a time...Smile

Thanks again!

Mike
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
Mike:
I am in Oneonta, about 30 miles from you, and would be happy to get together sometime. I have been performing magic for about 20 years now, performing mainly church programs. My email address is: dbearden@otelco.net Let me hear from you if you would like to talk.
David Bearden
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Fellowship of Christian Magicians! » » Looking for a few things (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL