The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » The Perfect Packet Trick 'Wallet' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Most of the stigma associated with packet tricks seems to come from the fact that we feel self-conscious pulling them out of that little plastic wallet. Or leather wallet, if you're a pro. Or Jerry O'Connell custom leather wallet if you're a BIG pro! Smile

Well, I think I've finally come up with the perfect 'wallet' to help you get past your packet trick anxiety.

Just put the packet tricks you plan on using into a spare card box, and separate them with some of those extra jokers you've got lying around. Match the color of the Jokers and box to the color of your packet tricks, as best you can. When you're ready to do a packet trick, execute your favorite deck switch, then thumb through and separate out the packet you want to use. Your patter is as easy as "Just let me find the cards I need for this trick..."

That's it. I've field-tested this method and it seems to work very well for me. I never get that skeptical look I used to get when I did packet tricks. Or maybe I'm just more confident now. Either way, it works for me.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Person With A Username
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of The Person With A Username
That is a great idea, and really would throw suspicion off the cards. Thank you for contributing that.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Airship,

Nice idea. I suspect your post was borne out of a few on this topic. I've mentioned a couple of time the idea of a deck switch to introduce a normal looking deck which, when ribbon spread, looks to have 54 different cards (inc jokers) But the deck contains several packet tricks.

I have the O'Connell wallet and it is lovely, but I aint no BIG pro! Smile

Roger

Like the avatar BTW. You an expert in photoshop?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I figured somebody was probably already doing something like this, but like you say, the whole 'stigma' of packet tricks had come back up with the introduction of a separate section for them on the Café. So I thought I'd share my version.

And I admit that I have O'Connell wallet envy right now. I desperately want a hip-pocket Himber.

As for PhotoShop, I actually use the cheaper but equally-high-powered Paint Shop Pro. I've been using it for years, though I wouldn't really call myself an 'expert'. My avatar was inspired by the movie 'Sin City'.
Binary
View Profile
New user
89 Posts

Profile of Binary
Quote:
On 2006-05-21 13:22, airship wrote:
As for PhotoShop, I actually use the cheaper but equally-high-powered Paint Shop Pro. I've been using it for years, though I wouldn't really call myself an 'expert'. My avatar was inspired by the movie 'Sin City'.
Cheaper, yes...
Equally powered... I wouldn't say so :l It is still a good program though Smile

Anyway, on the topic, I think its fine to bring them out of any packet as long as you give some sort of reason for them being seperate. For NFW the wallet could be to hold them down because when they are not held down they like to flip over eratically, for example, which leads you straight into the effect.
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Binary,

Great idea on NFW. I love that trick. I love to perform it and this would be a perfect intro into it. Tokeep them from flipping over eratically. That is too funny. Thanks.

All,

packet tricks are hard because by nature they look prepared. Color monty is the best because they are different from normal cards so you have a reason to keep them in a packet and also they are 100% examinable so it really blows their minds. I think I will try the deck box method. Thanks.
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Bro. John Hamman developed the idea of making a full deck from the individual packet tricks he would possibly perform during a set, during the late fifties.

Refer to The Secrets of Brother John Hamman, Richard Kaufman, page 216 - The Faked Deck. It lists the 6 routines he combined to make a fifty-one card deck.

Richard
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Cool. If I'm starting to think like Bro. John Hamman, maybe I'm actually on my way to becoming a real magician! You've made my day! Smile
magicbar
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of magicbar
Wondeful idea - thanks!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » The Perfect Packet Trick 'Wallet' (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL