The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to get? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hojeesum
View Profile
New user
Seattle
52 Posts

Profile of hojeesum
For Christmas, I was wondering if I should get the Paul Harris Art of Astonishment series or The Magic of Michael Ammar or what other book would you recommend? I have a good amount of card books. I guess I'm more looking for tricks that people go, "Hey show me a trick" type of thing. Opinions much appreciated! Thanks a lot
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
For the cost of the Paul Harris series you can buy every book that Dover Publications has put out on magic. Check out their website. That would be a real Christmas gift for the magic you.
You have to give it away to keep it.
Gr8neSS
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
53 Posts

Profile of Gr8neSS
both of those series you mentioned are excellent. Art of Astonishment is a bit expensive but in my opinion a very good investment. Paul Harris has a lot of tricks in it that people will say "hey show me THAT ONE trick".The dover publications on the other hand are packed with knowledge for a very cheap price.So I would recommend taking a look at both and deciding for yourself.

just my two cents

Brandon
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Both books are great, however, I would recommend the Michael Ammar book. (though the Dover idea is very good, too)

The Paul Harris books are loaded with good material, but the Ammar book has more than just tricks. The Ammar book also has good essay material that is very practical. The book also contains basic business advice for magicians wishing to move beyond the occasional show for friends into a real performing business.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to get? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL