The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Children and magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I work as full time restaurant magician. What I want is opinions on how children change the mood of your performance when they are present at a table.

I consider myself an adult, young adult performer. Why is it that even if I’m in the middle of a rather complex ace routine, mommy will turn to 3 year old junior for approval and comments?
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Smile This is one of the great mysteries of life. Smile

Actually, the kid is a family member and when they focus on you he gets left out a little bit, if he is too young to understand, so they talk to him so he doesn’t feel left out, they don’t really expect him/her to answer, "Cool!"

Not quite the same but similar is when they say, "Wish we’d brought the kids, they would have loved this!"

It matters not really, as long as they don’t say, "I wish my worst enemy was sitting here, I’d love for him to have to sit through this c**p!"

Paul.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
When they say "wish we'd brought the kids..." and you ask how old they are, answer: "3"...argh!!
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Most parents lives revolve around their little kids. It is that simple.

No matter how good you are, unless you are clearly inappropriate for a child to watch, you are going to get the kids comment or action.

Learning to work with it is the crux of a gracious performer.
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
As the parent of a 3 year old, I have to chime in here and second what Tom said. Right now on my life’s top priorities is seeing that my son experiences as much of the great stuff in the world that there is to experience. This comes before experiencing these things myself and way ahead of pleasing restaraunt magicians (one of which I might like to become one day). So recently when such a magician put "one" sponge bunny in my wife’s hand, I made sure my boy was paying attention before she opened her hand. I think it’s a matter of the folks enjoying your show and wanting to share that with their kids. I wouldn’t take it as an insult to your magical artistry, actually quite the opposite.

Matt
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
In a lot of cases, I suspect, it is because the adult may want to watch the action but figures it is "kid stuff" and so acts as if the performance is for the young 'un.

Same with going through the toy department of a large store!

cheers,

Peter Marucci

showtimecol@aol.com
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
No offense guys, but I cannot imagine a situation where I would expect my 3 year old to grasp a complex piece of magic. Sponge bunnies is one thing, I'm not refering to sponge bunnies, but the complexities of say, a prediction effect, or even the $100 bill switch. The kid has no concept of money, how could he enjoy an effect like this and others?

Some magicians enjoy working for toddlers, God bless 'em! I'll stick to mature audiences.

I don't begrudge a parent wanting their child to watch magic, but there's a difference between kiddie magic and adult magic. The same difference applies to movies, art, television, radio etc.
John Zander
View Profile
Loyal user
Downey, CA
247 Posts

Profile of John Zander
Quote:
but there's a difference between kiddie magic and adult magic

Yes... and no. There are effects in my shows that I do for kids and also for adults. Good magic is good magic and good entertainment...

But I get your point. There are of course some effects that you would do for an adult audience that would not work for a children's show.
Thank you,

John Zander

The Award Winning

Comedy Magic of

John Zander

http://www.ZanderMagic.com

http://www.AllMagic.net
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
Doing magic for kids is more entertaining then adults. I find that some adults don’t really appreciate the things we do; always saying they can do that, while kids on the other hand, they just stare, amazed.

That is why I enjoy kids more then adults. Even though I’m a kid I guess. I think that when you perform, kids stay quiet and they just watch.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
At my retaurant gig, I always play to the kids at the table first (but then, I am VERY good with kids). However, even my kids magic is very strong, and impresses the adults. After two effects for the kiddies, I say, "Ok, I’m going to do a trick for the old people now." Then I do my closer for the adults. This lets them know that I can play to both groups. The kid routines are strong enough for the adults and the adult routine is visual enough for the kids.

There’s no getting around this unless you work in a bar or club for 21 and over only. If you want adult audiences only, that option is there. But remember--you are there to please the guests, not yourself. If you don’t like that fact or can’t handle it, get another job!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Bird Brain
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Bird Brain
Quote:
On 2002-01-19 11:56, VernonOnCoins wrote:
I work as full time restaurant magician. What I want is opinions on how children change the mood of your performance when they are present at a table.

I consider myself an adult, young adult performer. Why is it that even if I’m in the the middle of a rather complex ace routine, mommy will turn to 3 year old junior for approval and comments?

Well, Vernon, as a big brother, I think I can answer your question! For example, when I'm watching a movie with my younger brothers, and there's a good joke, or something of that sort, I will ask if THEY got the joke, as I want them to feel included and enjoy the joke as much as I did! So when Mommy turns to the little kid, it's because SHE wants him to know what's going on, and to see the beauty of it!
So I wouldn't take it as an insult. It could be even taken as far as a compliment, but I'm not sure!

That's my take!

Bird Brain
Yes I know my enemies
They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
All of which are American Dreams, All of which are American Dreams
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
If the 3 year old is at the table, then he is part of the audience, trust me as a parent, if the kids aren't having a good time then neither am I, I think it comes with knowing your audience. Many adults are much more impressed with a sponge ball (or bunny) routine than they are with the newest four ace or Reset version.
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
733 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Hey There VernonOnCoins,

If you think that your average ADULT will be able to grasp the difference between your complex piece of magic and Sponge bunnies, I think your foolin’ yourself. Especially with the example of Sponge bunnies or Sponge Balls. If done correctly, all magic must seem pretty complex to audiences, even more so to the adults.
brainman
View Profile
Special user
970 Posts

Profile of brainman
When you are able presenting the magic in this way that all watching are satisfied.. you won - but this means to be flexible (tempo, voice, behaviour, integrating eye-contact, "a magic spell", a twinkle in your eye, humour, "one" for the child.. even if you make ONE balloon)

I don´t know.. every time it is a new adventure... sometimes I gather the children and do something especially for them... parents like to be alone for a moment..

well... we are magicians.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Children and magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL