The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Curtis Kam/ Flipper Coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Hello All,

I just posted a review of Curtis Kams Deceptions in Paradise Video in the reviews section plese check it out!

I also wanted to talk about a gaff I have never used before.

The flipper.

I have never used a flipper before because to me it always seemed too "gimmicky". For coin routines that require a secret "extra" I have always used a shell (or extra coin) feeling that I could palm it off if I needed to. That having beed said, I have recently changed my mind.

Curtis sent me a set of lecture notes that had me rethinking my former position. The thing that really got me was Curtis' suggestion to actually let a spectator hold the gaff for you at one point. Leading to VERY clean magic, no palming and no suspicious displays.

Don't get me wrong this is not an easy thing to contemplate. Audience management is at an all time high when you put fekes in thier hands, but with gentle guidance you can perform miracles!

Do any of you regularly use flipper coins in your work?

I would like to know.

Josh
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
That's a nice Doctor Who quote in your signature. Fourth doctor? Any thoughts on David Tennent?

Okay... Curtis good, flipper... ask folks like Troy Hoooser and our "godhandz", Eric also at the Café.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Curtis definitely does great stuff, all his lecture notes are worth their weight in gold, and the Deceptions DVD (from his younger days) is a must have for any serious coin worker. Great stuff.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Just to be bit of a stick in the mud... have you tried Bob Swadling's Double Deception items? Smile
Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 13:53, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
That's a nice Doctor Who quote in your signature. Fourth doctor? Any thoughts on David Tennent?

Yes. Tom Baker. I stopped watching reruns around 1983. I actually knit a 20 foot long scarf so I could look like "The Doctor". (Blush)

Josh
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
Musashi
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
132 Posts

Profile of Musashi
Quote:
On 2006-07-08 21:23, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Just to be bit of a stick in the mud... have you tried Bob Swadling's Double Deception items? Smile

No. I will now!

Thank You!

Josh
"Care for a Jelly Baby?"
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Does anyone know if Sir Curtis sells his lecture notes as and E-book?
Fingers
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania, USA
1330 Posts

Profile of Fingers
I have the "Coin Man Walking" DVD by Dan Watkins and If You Do Get A Flipper and want to be really deceptive you should give it a good look see, it's teriffic! However, not the cheapest item. I have a cheap one, but I am getting the one he recommends it rocks. The cheap one is exactly what I am saying...cheap...and there is a big difference, in both the appearance and the handling!
Where I go, so do my coins.....
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks very much for the support, guys, and of course, thanks to paisa for the "beknighting". Smile

Just so there's no miscommunication, the notes Josh is talking about are titled "Mr. Eclectic". In them, I cover a full-length working routine involving the production of the coins (which leaves them all in the spectator's hands for examination while your hands are completely empty) a closed-hands coins across, my latest handling of the fingertip coins across, and several follow-up phases leaving you clean at the end.

It uses an old-fashioned Swadling-style flipper, and I discuss why a gaff that "keeps its mouth shut" is preferable for "stealthy" applications such as this. I also cover techniques that allow you to bring our friend into play when you want it quickly and reliably.

Caveats: Sorry, no eBook at this time. Also, if you want to do the full routine, you'll also need to own Kainoa's "Coins on Edge", my "Silverado" and "Deceptions in Paradise" or "Palms of Steel 1", and the "Coins Across" Discs from the New York Coin Seminar guys. And a bit of practice. Of course, you could also be clever and fill in any blanks your own way, but who's into that nonsense?
:)

As always, PM me for the grisly details.

Ck
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
I agree with you Fingers.
I know Dan personally from the I.B.M. and YES, the one he recommends does ROCK.
The coin itself is a piece of art and the routines you can do with it are miracles.
Highly recommended.

Talk about routines...
I met Curtis Kam in Pennsylvania and he showed me his wonderful routine with a the simple 21 cent trick.
Outstanding!!!!!!!

Way to go Curtis!!!!!!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Who makes the coin you all talk about?? Looking for a good one. I know there is one for sale on the ellusionist website. Does anyone have any feedback on the ellusionist coins distrubuted by Dean Dill off the ellusionist site?? Thanks

Stevie D
-Stevie D
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
Curtis Kam material is the bomb. All worth it..

As for the flipper, I never used one. I love using a shell and yes, at times they always are at the hands of my audience. Risky but fun.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Jim Salabim
View Profile
Loyal user
Skien, Norway
240 Posts

Profile of Jim Salabim
Hi, I wrote a small review of these notes too. Take a look here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......10&1

Jim
sadamspmp
View Profile
New user
Sunny Tampa, Florida
34 Posts

Profile of sadamspmp
Where can I buy Curtis' material? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-09-11 10:24, sadamspmp wrote:
Where can I buy Curtis' material? Any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Have you asked Curtis about his notes?

POS 2,3 are in print (videos)

POS 1 was available on VHS with no trouble last I saw.
Kihei
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Kihei
If you PM him, he will reply.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Curtis Kam/ Flipper Coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL