The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do then torn and restored newspaper tears drop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
What are some comebacks for the torn and restored newspaper if you mess it up or drop some of the paper tears. I was thinking of something like even though you are you will always have your expereinces of what you went through and you can use these experiences to share with others how they too can not only survive but thrive and be a stronger person because of it.

Now of course I am relating it to people who have been put through the trials and tribulations of their lives being torn apart and because they got the proper attitude and faith... in themselves... being restored!
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
1. Just ignore it, or.

2. Ooops!

3. That's ok. I already read that part..

4. That must be the "good news" section. No wonder it won't stay in.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Practice more.

Bob
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
There are always cases where it is possible no matter how good you are things go wrong, it's better to be ready when life throws you a curve to be ready for it and be professional. I haven't made perfection and that is why I am seeking input.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Well if it drops when you are tearing it, it's not a biggie. Otherwise, yes, you just need to practice more.

Hope I helped

Michael
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Here's a funny bit that gets a laugh and looks AS IF it is part of the show. Have a couple pieces of newspaper pretorn to the proper size in a jacket pocket. IF...you drop a piece during the performance just look askance at the audience and reach inside your pocket and pull out the 'extra' piece. As you do this you say, "Woo! Good think I had leftovers from the last performance!" Add the piece or pieces to the ones in hand and go forward with the routine. Done with confidence and without missing a beat this LOOKS very professional and it looks as if the dropping of the pieces was planned! You will get points with the audience for having your chops together.

Dale Salwak pointed out in a lecture years ago in Long Beach that the true pro is ready for something to happen. He had an extra billiard ball in a clip under his coat in case he dropped one in performance. It was ALWAYS there. At the time he had never had to use it, but he had rehearsed using it. Knowing Dale he has probably never used it to this day, but I would bet money that it is still there.

Look at EVERY routine you do. What in fact 'could' go wrong. Come up with a fix or out that is not simply mechanical in nature, but that looks as if THAT WAS WHAT WAS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN ANYWAY!!! That's the secret. I have taught a thousand students that you don't want the audience to KNOW that you screwed up. If you recover from a bad fluff, you don't want to be credited with 'recovering'.... You don't want anyone to KNOW that you DID in fact recover! You want the recovery to look as good as the what was supposed to happen.

This is not that difficult. There is in fact a finite number of flubs for any particular routine. AND...there will be things that are much more obvious than others and more likely to happen. With a little thought you will be able to see what could be done in any particular case to recover. Best,
Brad Burt
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
Dennis,

It's no big deal if you drop a piece or two. You could try to integrate it into your patter about one's life being torn apart, i.e., (as you reach to pick up the piece) "...Trying to run away from all the turmoil will get you nowhere... (as you place the torn piece back with the others) ...just pick yourself back up and put your life back together again." (just food-for-thought.)

You could also apply this recovery technique to other situations that might come up. Or... you could just make light of the mishap as others have suggested. Simon Lovell handles this very well sometimes. He will be shuffling a deck of cards in a sloppy fashion (on purpose), then a card will accidentally fall out onto the table. He then smiles and points to the card and says, "Oh... oh... Look! A deserter!!!"

Hope this helps.

Dave
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Thanks for the input, that is where I come from that a true pro is ready for anything and we all know crap happens. I have not done Gene Anderson's yet, currently learning it but for Joel Bauer's flash restoration it is possible, for those of you who know it you know what I mean. I have learned to do it and practice daily, haven't dropped one. Although I am pretty good with thinking on my feet, having a comeback already prepared is even better.
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
Gene Anderson dropped a couple of pieces when videotaping his video. He said that everyone occassionally drops a piece or two. He simply looks down at the pieces and says, "Oh, looks as if a couple of them tried to get away."
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Yes steve, dropping pieces is paart of gene andreson's presentation.in my oppinion it makes the effect even more stronger as the spectators can clearly see seperate pieces.
whit haydn actually included this in his own presentation of the effect which is very similar to gene's.
practice some more Dennis and never rush when performing T&R newspaper.be as calm as possible. that worked for me in the past.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
As stated above, Whit Haydn's "Torn and Restored" video shows him dropping TWO pieces, in front of a live audience, no less. He just holds the rest of the pieces high so the audience can see them while he stoops and recovers them, not missing a beat in his patter.

But if you're always dropping a piece, try this: As part of your prep, tear a piece out of your RESTORED paper. If you don't accidently drop a piece during the tearing process, drop one on purpose. Show the restored paper with the missing piece. Pick up the dropped piece and do a switch for the missing piece, then show that the dropped piece is a PERFECT match to the hole in the restored paper. This will add a bit of that old 'bill in lemon' authenticity to the bit. (You know, like when the torn corner of the bill fits the bill in the lemon?)

This is just mindwork - I haven't tried it. But I think I like it! Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
What to do then torn and restored newspaper tears drop?

Start dancing. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What to do then torn and restored newspaper tears drop? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL