The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2006 entrée: Simon Aronson » » Simon's free Introduction to Memorized Deck Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Simon Aronson
View Profile
1943 - 2019
74 Posts

Profile of Simon Aronson
I certainly don’t want to be identified exclusively with memorized deck magic, but it certainly is one of my passions. And I try to encourage all people interested in card magic to explore this wonderful utility.

So, on my website http://www.simonaronson.com , I have a 20 page introduction to the entire topic, available as a free pdf download. It’s a set of notes that I prepared several years ago, when I was conducting private workshops on the topic. It’s entitled “Memories Are Made of This” and while it only scratches the surface of this fascinating topic, it will help you get your feet wet and will answer some of your questions, about what stack to memorize, how to learn it, how to stay in practice, etc. It includes five basic concepts that can produce deceptive and subtle effects, and it has a number of location effects that are pretty fooling. Here’s the link:

http://www.simonaronson.com/memorizedhome.htm

If you’re a beginner, this is the place to start. Even if you don’t feel like you’ll ever memorize a stack, I think you’ll find some of the ideas intriguing. So, please be my guest. Since it’s free, I can safely guarantee it’s worth the price.

Simon
"There's a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done."

Shuffle-bored (1980)

http://www.simonaronson.com
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
This was a very interesting read. Thanks for the link. Do you know if there's any information online about the mnemonic method of memorizing cards? I have past experience using mnemonics having read Harry Loraine's Memory Book, and I remember a section on cards, but I seemed to have misplaced it (forgot where I put it!). I'm especially interested in the method you use.

Thanks in advance.

Drew
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Simon Aronson
View Profile
1943 - 2019
74 Posts

Profile of Simon Aronson
The method I use is set forth in my A Stack to Remember, which is reprinted as part of Bound to Please. My method is the quite standard visual peg system, used by Furst, Roth, Zufall, Lorayne and many memory experts. I just came up with my own vivid images, that fit the phonetic alphabet.

You can find a good description of it in my above book. The basic system is well-described in Greater Magic.

Google will help tell you if there's something online.

Simon
"There's a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something is done versus his knowing that it can't be done."

Shuffle-bored (1980)

http://www.simonaronson.com
Lukenp
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of Lukenp
I enjoyed reading that. Thanks Simon.

Luke
"Be natural"

-Dai Vernon
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I downloaded a Stack to Remember and it was what motivated me to finally memorize a deck.

There are lots of methods to learn. Choose whichever is best for you.

Here's the secret. Don't give up. It's really that simple.

A lot of people quit when they can't do something right away, or if they make too many mistakes after trying something for a short time.

Whatever method you use, if you keep exposing your brain to the number-to-card mappings and the "card-to-number" mappings then eventually you'll learn them. And if you continue to practice, eventually the correct card or number will come to you almost instantly. Just allocate a certain amount of time every day and study. It doesn't have to be long, twenty minutes will suffice, but if you study longer, you'll learn the stack quicker.

Just do it!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
FlippingWonderful
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of FlippingWonderful
I agree with you Bill, it took me about a month to be comfortable with Simon's stack, and I would heartily recommend his book Bound to Please to anyone who hasn't read it.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2006-08-22 23:58, Bill Hallahan wrote:
I downloaded a Stack to Remember and it was what motivated me to finally memorize a deck.

Hi Bill,

You mentioned you downloaded this, and I've searched google to no avail. Could you possibly point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Drew
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I went to Simon's site, and I found the document, Memories Are Made Of This. This is what I had downloaded from his site, not "A Stack to Remember."

"A Stack to Remember" is a pamphlet that's mentioned in that document, and is entirely contained in his composite book, Bound to Please. I mixed up the names. I did not download that! I hope it's not possible to download that.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2006 entrée: Simon Aronson » » Simon's free Introduction to Memorized Deck Magic » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL