The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Thin Playing Cards... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Hey guys, I'm sure this isn't new, but I've been venturing into card splitting and I realized that you can take the two faces of the cardboard insert, discard the insert and glue the two faces together to make a very thin card. I very easily got the two faces off in excellent condition, I haven't glued them yet. Would rubber cement work for this?? I wouldn't want anything too strong that would wrinkle the cards. Anyone have experience with this?? There are many good reasons one would want thin cards to add to their routine. Thanks!

Dxsare
-Stevie D
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Good for you! I've yet to split a card even remotely right.
Steve V
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
If I recall from Martini's cardsplitting DVD, the Hoffzinger card involves three thin faces...

I don't think technically the USPCC cards have a "cardboard insert" like people seem to think... There was a show on cable a few months back that took a tour of the USPCC factory and showed how the cards were made. It seemed like it was 2 ply of paper bonded with a black goopy tar-like adhesive. I think there's some sort of thin plastic coating? I think the "thin face" is the plastic coating and printing with a few paper fibers. The "cardboard center" I think is just dried black adhesive goop to which the majority of the paper pulp remains adhered. Maybe somebody out there can correct me if I'm wrong about that...
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I wonder if Phil cards would fit the bill for your purpose?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
dxsare
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of dxsare
Thanks, I hear everybody talking about the Phil cards, I don't suppose they have a bicycle back do they?? Probably not.. I need just a few thin cards and the rest of the deck regular... I think I'll be able to make the few I need, I was experimenting for the last few days and it seems like it will work perfect.

Dxsare
-Stevie D
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Cards By Martin sells "thin" cards - Bicycle, Tally Ho, whatever.

No, "Phil" cards do not have Bicycle backs.

Robert
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
There exist more than one kind of playing card stock.

Bicycle cards are made up of three layers of paper, other (like seen on tv) use two layers. When using two layers, both layers have the same thickness and glued together with black glue.

When using three layers (like Bicycle cards) there is a thick middle layer and two thin outer layers glued together with black glue. The finish is NOT a plastic coat. The linen structure is NOT some sort of special paper, it is normal paper that will be guided through two big rolls where this pattern is pressed into the paper.

That´s all. ;-)

Christian
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Thin Playing Cards... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL