The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of Young Magicians! » » How to get started? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
I have a 15 year old friend who is really getting into magic. She's been learning and working on several tricks, and helps me in my own act. Eventually I expect to share the part of assistant with her. Anyway, she wants to know about starting a magic club or group at her school, and I thought she may be able to start a local SYM ring.

Does anyone have any tips?
Thanks!
Scott
Magic in the Shadows
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Scott,

Welcome to the café. You'll find some great people here.

Have your friend contact Jann Goodsell. She is the S.Y.M. National Director and can be reached at bravesjann@comcast.net and will be able to help.

Good luck. Mark.
marchache
View Profile
New user
Canada
4 Posts

Profile of marchache
Hi Scott,

That's great she wants to be more involved in magic.

Jan will give you all of the specifics but some general comments:

To be an official SYM Assembly you will need 2 adult leaders, both of which must be SAM members.

There are great resources available to the leaders to help startup, setup and run SYM assemblies. These include a leader guidebook, a yahoo forum and early access to the SYMBol (monthly newsletter)

website is http://www.magicsym.com/index.asp

Be glad to help with any questions.
Marc Hache, Assembly Leader, Y007, Wendel Gibson Assembly
magicleo
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of magicleo
I'm also planning on meeting Jann Goodsell. She qwill need to know where you live and then give you the correct advice pertaining. Since you live (and I assume your friend does too) in Florida, and she lives in Utah, like me, she may not be able to meet up with you. Ask her about meeting the president of the local SYM ring.
TheNewHoudini
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TheNewHoudini
I got into magic about three months ago I don't do shows yet bout I'm pretty good does anyone have any tips?
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

I think its a good start for you. Welcome to the world of magic.Smile What kind of tricks you do or you want to do?

magically yours,

Nedim Guzel
acidhead
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of acidhead
My name is erick and I live in houston. I've been doing magic for a while 2 years mavey. mostly street magic. I realy enjoy having crowds of people to perform for mostly kids my age 14-16 but I wouldrealy like to start making a money out of it make a profesion. I've never realy been a part of the magic community so its hard because I would not know where to start. I guess I'm looking for help starting up a show or just learning how to even do something like that. I'm just used to being very informal just kind of hanging out with people and showing them something cool I can do with cards and stuff liike coins.
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
The best thing you could do is seek out a professional magician who has the time to coach you not only in the art of performing, but also in the art of "business". It is important to remember that the more professional you act with potential clients, the more they will treat YOU like a professional. Doing tricks is a start, but to be a professional, you must treat your craft like a business by being responsible, reliable, and dependable for your customers. It may sound very serious, but it is still lots of fun ! There is nothing more gratifying in the world of business than being able to say "I love my job !"

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Ivan22
View Profile
New user
Gainesville, VA
5 Posts

Profile of Ivan22
Quote:
On 2007-07-29 19:53, TRUMPETMAN wrote:
There is nothing more gratifying in the world of business than being able to say "I love my job !"

You know they say, "If you love your job, you'll never work a day in your life."
I guess it's true!
"The chance of me finding your card is 1 in 52. Who bets that I beat the odds?"
<BR>-ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of Young Magicians! » » How to get started? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL