The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Im talking some of your advice. I've heard a lot of people say they use jumbo props with kids and it goes over well. I just ordered from clownantics.com a bunch of jumbo things to use in the needle thru balloon and other tricks. For the people that didnt dsay anything about using jumbo props, what do you guys think about it? Thanks, JSMagic Smile
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
It depends on your performing character. For me they don't work. For others they do. Try out the ones you get, see if you can put together an original script using them, and if it works continue using them. If not, try re-working the script or eventually try something different.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
Any kind of Jumbo prop seems to go over well with a younger age group. I keep a jumbo comb that I can use to quickly re-gain the attention of younger children. If I am performing for a mixed age group and have a routine that is more aimed at the older children and I notice the younger ones are starting to loose it. I will pull out the jumbo comb for a quick laugh. It helps me keep younger children watching in any routine that is otherwise not so visual.
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Always remember, "The Bigger The Better." I agree with you Andy. It will be more of a attention getter because they are easier for the kids to see. Plus jumbo items can look humorous for the kids.

I agree with you also, Mike. If you don't feel comfortable performing with it, don't use it. But the character is a magician,s #1 tool.

Good Luck, JSMagic

Abaracadabra,
Dynamike
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Thanks A Lot Guys, Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
It depends on the character and the audience.
I do my Needle Through Balloon routine for adult audiences; I blow up the balloon and then bring out the "pin" -- a giant diaper pin about a foot and a half long.
I say that I have been doing magic since I was just a little kid and the only things I had to play with were a balloon and my diaper pin.
Long pause, as I look at the pin and then the audience.
"Well, I was very small at the time and that's how big it looked to me!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Kids find big stuff funny. Take a giant toothbrush say you forgot to bush your teeeth. Now that's funny. Then use it to comb your hair that'e even funnier because who combs their hair with a toothbrush, Now use it to wash your underarms, now that is gross which makes it funnier then the above and because they are already laughing your only concern is they don't wet themselves from laughing hard.

Even though you call yourself a magician or whatever, with kids, it is the funny stuff that makes the show and they'll love you for it.
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL