The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Taming dove (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Can you guys share step by step in minute detail how you train ur doves?
I train mine using the starve and motivate type of method.
starve it, hand-feed and toss away and let it back
and give keep a consistent pattern toward the whole process.

now i`m trying to put it on ground, wave my hands toward it, and let it get use to my hand and the environment of my hands waving around it whilst it was on the ground.. and maintain a more more constant feeding pattern.
hope you guys can share with me a more EFFECTIVE way taming ur doves..
- a f o i -
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
I hope you really don't mean you're starving your dove. If you are, please stop it right away - that is a terrible and immoral way of going about it. Others here may give you methods of training and taming a dove, but depriving him/her of food is not the way to do it, afoi.

Ron Reid
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Get the Tony Clark unmask videos - good resource
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Afoi, most videos on dove magic spend quite a bit of time on training. Tony Clark's Unmasked, and Andy Amyx's doves 101 are good choices. If you do a search here on the Café in this forum, you'll find many topics and posts discussing training methods.

I agree with Ron, starving your dove is not the way to go. You want your doves to bond with you as a friend and trusted companion, not someone who withholds food.
Where the magic begins
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
Ditto...
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Have you seen Hitchcock's "The Birds"
I heard they were trained by the starvation method and you saw how that turned out.
Not cool.
Listen to the fellows above...They know what they are talking about.
Gwyd
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Gsdhe, can you show me the video of the Hitchcock's "The Birds"? I dun get wat it means by wat you said,,

I got tony clarks all volumes ecxept behind the seam,
I got greg frewin whole set of 3 volume,
I even got andy amyx video..

I even bought THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF DOVE MAGIC.

what I do now is that I feed my dove when the time I eat, (3 meals a day)
hand feed them,
but before feeding, I took them out, put them on the ground, put my hands toward them and keep repeating it again and again. just to get them aquainted.
after doing for around 30 hand waves, I put the seeds on my hands and let them notice it and peck on it, then from the EDM book, I slowly push up their belly so they will stand on my hand and pet them slowly and let them keep eating. I found out that having the bird perched on ur finger and do hand waves doesn't really work, wat I noticed is that the dove will duck for the few first trial, and will stay still after that, then after putting it on the ground and do the same as mr greg says,(except that the dove is now not perched on my finger) they keep ducking down for cover,(scardy birdie)

so guys, can you plz offer me a stronger solution?
hmm,, I guess could be my patience, how long it takes if use LOVE to train doves?
I found out starving like wat I did last time takes 2 weeks to return,
ok,. dun worry , I stop starving my dove now..

HELP........

as for previous discussion, can you plz post the link for me if you don't mind?
- a f o i -
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
The Birds is a thriller/horror movie about birds going bezerk and trying to kill people.
Black and white classic.Sure you can find it on line somewhere.
Gwyd
vonbodan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of vonbodan
Ok I will say this but before anyone starts tearing into me read my entire post. The starvation method isn't the way to go. But the way to get that bond with you is by use of food!

Step one hand breaking them. Hold them by pinning down the wings while you hold them. DO NOT HOLD TIGHT just enough to keep the wings from getting away. As you hold them look at them and talk to them very calm. Rub their chest with a finger. Once their are no longer trying to get away let them sit in your hand. Then hold seed in the other hand and let them eat from your hand. This will start them to knowing you have the food.

Step two don't starve them but don't let them eat till they are totally full. You will know when they are hungry. They will climb on one another to get to the food. I always choose the one that looks hungry enough. If he does it I let him eat at the same eye level as the other birds. That way they see what to do. I feed each bird a total of 20 minutes a day once a day. I get them to do what ever it is 2 times so 10 minutes and then I work with the next bird until they are all done. But if the bird is unable to do whatever I am trying to teach it( flyback or whatever) I take them a step back in training to see if they can do that. But if they still fail I will still feed them and try again tommorrow.

Hope this helps.

Vonbodan
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I have never used food to bribe my birds into doing what I wanted. The bonding has nothing to do with food but in getting the doves to trust you. That means a lot of handling, petting, stroking, talking and rewarding. Rewarding can be a small treat during the practice or something as simple as a quick spritz of water.

Afoi, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with the "waving the hands". You have all the necessary training videos and most of the advice given on this forum originates from one of those videos.
Where the magic begins
vonbodan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of vonbodan
Once again I train my birds to realize when they think of food they think me. No one else feeds them! Why so in the middle of the show one of my birds don't fly to my wife off stage. But that is just my opinion. And you know what they say opinions
Vonbodan
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Vonbodan, sorry if my post sounded harsh. In dove work, each situation is different and I firmly believe that each person has to do what works for them. If the feeding method works for you, that's good. My only concern about the doves thinking of food when they see you is this. In spite of what we all say, doves are not stupid. If they get used to seeing you and thinking of food, what happens when they fly to you and there isn't any food for them? If your act is such that allows you to carry food with you, then it isn't a problem, but in my act, that just isn't possible. If they fly to you and don't find food, the chances of them flying off is increased. Maybe this has never happened to you and hopefully it hasn't, but I wouldn't want to take the chance. In my many years of dove work, natural bonding has always worked for me.

I agree that everyone has an opinion, and this is just mine based on experience.
Where the magic begins
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Quote:
On 2006-10-12 22:23, Dave Scribner wrote:
I have never used food to bribe my birds into doing what I wanted. The bonding has nothing to do with food but in getting the doves to trust you. That means a lot of handling, petting, stroking, talking and rewarding. Rewarding can be a small treat during the practice or something as simple as a quick spritz of water.

Afoi, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish with the "waving the hands". You have all the necessary training videos and most of the advice given on this forum originates from one of those videos.

the doves will duck side or ducking down trying stay away from my hand, according to mr frewin, waving around constantly for a period the doves will get used to fast motion and eventually not afraid to ur hands,

hmm.... I did wat is posted here. but one thing bother me still, I dun starve them, but the refuse to eat from my hand, wat is the problem eh?

then I try again the next day, they dun fly away, they accept my training, but still look aound here and there up and down which I think has the tendency of a less loyal bird,

I sprinkle to the cage they eat from eat..
and last question, is it ok to feed ur doves with raw rice??
- a f o i -
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Afoi, I would try to get away from waving my hands all around the doves. Use the standard training methods describe by Tony Clark and Andy Amyx. The waving, while might work for Greg isn't used very much I don't believe. Handling, stroking, talking and working with the doves everyday will produce much better results, I believe. It's not important to have the doves eat from your hands. You have to let them do what comes naturally. If they don't like eating from you hand, then let them eat in their cage. I wouldn't feed them 3 times a day either. You need to put out some seed and watch to see how much they eat. Put out that amount the next day. Feeding them once a day will keep them healthy and in good shape for you.

Now as for feeding them raw rice, I've never heard of that so I can't say whether it's good or bad. In my opinion, I would think it wouldn't be good for them. Doves can't chew so they'd be swallowing whole pieces of rice. I don't believe their digestive system will handle it. I could be wrong on that. Perhaps Autumn Morning star will see this and respond. She might have some better information about rice.
Where the magic begins
Shaner316
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Catharines, ON. Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Shaner316
Regarding the raw rice, I don't think it is a good idea. As dave said, they would be eating the grain whole, and as anyone who has ever made rice knows, when rice gets damp, it EXPANDS!

Now picture this, your bird eats the rice untill it is full, the grain gets moist inside the stomach and expands inside an already full area!!

This is why most churches (in my area anyway) do not allow the tossing of rice at weddings, as it tends to kill some birds.

Remember the safety and health of your birds should come first.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
Bwahahaha! I love The Birds, Gwyd.
vonbodan
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of vonbodan
Well I did not take your post as harsh. Yes my dove shows are to where I can supply food when they come to me. So yes I can see how this method would not work if didn't have a way to reinforce the food and you approach.

Vonbodan
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
The main thing is to socialize the doves, that is to say, talk to them and don't just put them in the in the cage. They're dependent on you, so be gentle with them and proper care will tame them.
POOF!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Taming dove (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL