The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Can anyone provide a list of common gaffed coin tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I know what 'Scotch and Soda' is, and what a ] is good for, and I'm familiar with a few of the other common gaffes. But what's the effect of 'Hopping Halves'? And how about the other oft-mentioned tricks in this forum? Which ones are most versatile? Can anyone provide a nice, neat summary of the top dozen or so coin gaffes and what you can do with them? I'd really like to progress beyond my dime-and-penny but am unsure what my best investments might be. Thanks.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I guess you need to look over some of the coin maker's websites, like http://www.coingaffs.com and Lassen's site, as well as Johnson, Sasco, et al.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The good ones are not common.
But if you look at Robert Swadling's offerings he has some gems.
It's not so often that the gaff begets the trick as the other way around.
Have a look in Bobo's for some of the popular stuff of that time.
Also Laurie Ireland had a gem or two on the market.
As does Steve Dusheck.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
There are DVDs FULL of effects using only one gaff... your request is outwith the scope of this forum IMHO!

Again, I'd start with the type of effects which attract you, and go from there. Some good advice above by those who know Smile

Personally, as far as "best investments" [in my case meaning versatility], I'd go with a [ or C/S.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Johnson "Hopping Half" are versatile. The set gives you five 'tools' that a good for many effects. This set will save you $$ in the long run as well.
If I had to pick one tool it would be a [. Don't overlook the Quarter [.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Thanks for the input. Looks like a Hopping Half set would give me a lot of mileage.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Copper/silver/brass, 21 cent trick, $1.35, nickels to dimes, $1.85, coin unique, dime out, chinatown half are some at the top of my head.
HDMAGIC
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of HDMAGIC
Try getting in touch with Johnson Products. They will mail you one of their catalogs. The phone number for Johnson Products is 626-445-1411. Or go on the web and google Jamie Schoolcraft of Todd Lassen. They both provide gaffed coins.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi guys! Forgive me if I'm hijacking this thread....

Do you know if there is such a thing as an Eisenhower Dollar-sized Copper/Silver coin?

I Googled this and came up with zip. I wonder what kind of coin would be used for the Copper?

Sure would appreciate a solution.

Gratefully,

Doug
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2105 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Doug,

I've never seen an Eisenhower C/S, but the copper would definitely need to be a non-US coin. Todd Lassen makes a Morgan dollar C/S with a copper coin from the Isle of Mann (I believe). I think, however, the Morgan is slightly smaller than the Eisenhower and, therefore, the Isle of Mann coin may not work. I'm sure Todd could answer your question with certainty.

Regards, Steve
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Excellent!

Thanks Steve! I just found out that Sasco makes an Ike C/S...they don't have a website that one can order direct...so I'm calling them tomorrow.

Check out #53 here:

http://www.sascomagic.com/catalogu.htm

Best!

Doug
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Check with Brad Burt - He MAY have a C/S gaff with a silver dollar and a Sudbury Penny - that's a great combo if you can get it! You do the classic Dollar and Penny transposition, and then you can use the large penny with the dollar and ring in the gaff...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
LOL, Paul! Funny, I never even thought of the Sudbury Penny! In fact, silly as it sounds, I carry the large penny and an Ike Dollar coin with me all the time, and SPELLBOUND them back & forth...

Gee, you'd think that would have occurred to me! What a great idea!

Man...I turn 51 and the mind goes all caddywampus! -DING, DINGGGG!

I'm not just having a senior MOMENT...more like a senior MONTH! LOL!

:)

Thanks Paul! I'll see what I can come up with!

Doug
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Yep! Spot ON, Paul!

Brad may be the very person to go for this!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Can anyone provide a list of common gaffed coin tricks? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL