The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Weather (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Hello, I am finally getting a few more doves and have heard that some people keep them in a garage or outside. I was woundering if it was ok to keep them in my garage, but I think it will be too cold in the winter. It gets down around zero every once in a wile and I don't want to have my beautiful trained birds freezing to death. also in the summer it gets up around a hundred. What do you guys thinks?

Thanks in advance,
-Aaron
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Aaron, this has been discussed many times on the Café. I keep my birds in my garage all year long now. I live in New Jersey and it's not uncommon for the temperature to drop well below 0 in the winter and rise about 100 in the summer. If I know it's going to be exceptionally cold one night, I run a small electric heater near the cages to keep the chill off. Doves are very hardy creatures and as long as there isn't a draft on them, they'll be fine. You just have to check the water supply more often because it wil freeze.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Ok sorry about the repost I tried but couldent find the info I wanted, you hit the nail right on the head though thanks.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I've worried about that too Aaron. Dave has reassured me that doves can take some pretty cold temperatures. I think as long as they are inside a building and out of the draft they'll be fine.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
You can even have them outside as long as there is no draft. There is a limit of course. If the temp is really going to dip, it might be better to bring them indoors unless you can supply a source of heat to the aviary.
Where the magic begins
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Thanks a lot everyone.
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
Dave,

In reference to the "draft", I know you've mentioned this before, but what exactly do you mean - "a draft"?. Here in Miami, it rarely gets windy, but you mean a strong wind can harm the bird? as in the bird will catch a cold ?

thanks

Jaime
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4855 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jaime, basically yes but not a strong wind. A draft would be just a gentle breeze that the doves are directly in line with. An example would be if you had the birds in your garage or shed and there was a window slightly open or a crack where the wind or breeze could enter blowing constantly on the birds. That would be a draft. All they'd need if you had that situation would be a way to stand behind something or an area that would protect them from that breeze.
Where the magic begins
Jarana
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of Jarana
K thanks Dave.
Got a website? We can help--> www.clorus.com
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Depending on the proximity of your neighbors, you'll want to check local zoning laws. Some communities, including homeowner associations, won't allow you to keep "livestock" on your property.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Weather (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL