The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Raising Money for a Teacher (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know about a fundraiser that I helped start at my school. A couple of months ago, one of my past teachers found out that her daughter (Reese) has metachromatic leukodystrophy (MLD). This is a "rare genetic disorder that creates an enzyme deficiency in the brain. According to the National Institutes of Health, fewer than 200,000 people in the United States are diagnosed with the disease each year." (You can read the short story about Reese and her disease by clicking Here)

The teacher, Mrs Behnken, would need to travel all over the country to try and find a doctor or procedure that could save her daughter. She found out that if Reese was chosen by a group of doctors, she would qualify to have a special procedure done on her that would maybe save her life. They would have to travel all the way to Denmark for her to get this procedure, and they would have to live there for quite some time. This would cost a TON of money Anyway, I really like Mrs. Behnken and I knew that there was some way that I could help out.

It was then when I found out that some of the students in my high school were starting a "spare change drive" at lunch to raise money for my teacher. One day, I walked over and asked them how much they raised. I was appalled when they said, "2 dollars and 30 cents." I couldn't believe that high school students couldn't donate a little change to one of their past teachers. $2.30 did NOT cut it for a 30 minute lunch period with about 150 students.

I sat down and pulled out a deck of cards and soon, a couple of my friends came over to "see a trick". To make a long story short, there were literally about 50 people standing around me within about 5 minutes and I was amazing them with card magic. Then I realized that we could raise money by having these "little shows" at lunch! I told everyone that they should donate some money and then I performed the 3 card monte.... and raised about 50 bucks. In 15 minutes, we went from raising $2.30 to $103.79. I was very proud of myself.

For the next week, I began to have these shows every lunch period and I gained a GREAT reputation with the corny name "magic matt." I was doing the thing I loved... and I was doing it for a great cause!!! Everyday I fooled tons of kids and even got my principal and other staff members involved! Not once did I screw up a trick. By the end of the week we raised a little over $1,000!!! It was amazing to see how generous high school kids could actually be. Not only did I gain a great reputation, but I also won student of the month in October. It made me feel great that I raised this much money for one of my teachers.

The story about my teacher is especially sad because she always talked about her kids. She "adores" them and makes it more obvious then anyone else I ever met. I really hope that her daughter Reese is going to be OK.

Thanks you all for taking the time to read this!

-Matt
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Way to go! I'm glad to see that the principal supported your efforts.
andrelimantara
View Profile
Special user
Surabaya, Indonesia
871 Posts

Profile of andrelimantara
Great effort, Matt
Congratz
"Good performance comes from good practice, Great performance comes from the heart - Andre Limantara"
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Hey that's teriffic! It's always great to see someone using their gift for a good cause. Well done - I hope your teacher's daughter gets the help she needs.
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Thanks guys! Someone of penguin is accusing me that this is a scam though Smile
-Matt
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
You mean someone on the Penguin forums? Don't listen to them. Some people are idiots.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
What are the names of the principal and the school? Where are you located? Maybe a few magicians in that area could put on a show as a family night event to help raise money.

Ray
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 16:22, Magical Dimensions wrote:
What are the names of the principal and the school? Where are you located? Maybe a few magicians in that area could put on a show as a family night event to help raise money.

Ray

Sadly the principal just retired. Her name was Mrs. Fadde and I really liked her. She would always see me in the hallways and say "Hi magic matt." I live Robbinsville, New Jersey and there are not a lot of magicians around here, (from what I have seen.) If anyone lives nearby, let me know and maybe we could have a "magic night" or something.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
That's a terrific and inspiring story, Matt! Try not to let someone's criticism get to you - you know you're doing a wonderful thing, and that's all that really matters.

Thanks for sharing this.

Ron
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Quote:
On 2007-01-15 08:30, Ron Reid wrote:
That's a terrific and inspiring story, Matt! Try not to let someone's criticism get to you - you know you're doing a wonderful thing, and that's all that really matters.

Thanks for sharing this.

Ron

Thanks a lot Ron!
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Matt,

You could try to contact the Philly area SAM and IBM groups, as well as the NJ-based Kidabra chapter, outside of Philly. I'm sure that Dennis Dowhy, known as Dennis Michael around here can help with finding local magician's in your area. You will find many posts with his info in the Little Darlings forum, and in the Kidabra Forum, which he staffs.

I think it's great what you've done, and agree... don't let the doubters get ya down. This story was printed a few weeks back about the situation... http://www.nj.com/printer/printer.ssf?/b......5490.xml If this gets removed, Google Behnken + NJ , and you will get a Times article from Dec 31, 2006.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Thanks a lot JesterMan!
the AuditOrr
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of the AuditOrr
NICE!!! Best way to put it!!! NICE!
I want to go far...
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to share that story with us.
It's people like you that give magic and magicians a good reputation. You overcame your fears and used your abilities to help someone in need. You should feel very proud of yourself. Way to go Matt!

:dancing: Smile Smile
Magic Mike Japan
View Profile
New user
Yokosuka, Japan (U.S. Mailing Address)
98 Posts

Profile of Magic Mike Japan
Matt - I am a teacher myself and was moved by your story. It's magicians like you who give is a good name. It gave me an idea of something I could do myself, or try to organize, to benefit the local community where I live in Japan.
"There's no limit to what one man can accomplish, as long as he's willing to let someone else have the credit." (These words were inscribed on a small brass plaque which sat on President Ronald Reagan's desk in the White House during his second term.)
<BR><BR
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Thank you for all of your comments guys! I recently sent this story to MAGIC Magazine, and it is going to be published in the September issue. I am very excited!
-Matt
john_herm
View Profile
New user
NJ
69 Posts

Profile of john_herm
Quote:
On 2007-01-04 15:30, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
You mean someone on the Penguin forums? Don't listen to them. Some people are idiots.

You got that right. Matt, PJHMarine here, it's great to see you outside of Penguin.

I loved your story. It's great that people can use magic to do amazing things like this. Your teacher must be very proud of you. It's great that this is going to MAGIC Magazine! I'll look for your article! Smile

John
evildraco1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of evildraco1
Hey John! Nice to see you hear on the Café! Thank you very much for your nice comments. Now I just need to hire a photographer for the magazine...

-Matt
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Hey Matt,

What happened with this???

Just curious. I am going to be doing balloons at an event for a little guy with MLD next month.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Magic38
View Profile
New user
Bill Davis
39 Posts

Profile of Magic38
Good show Matt keep the art of magic alive.
pm if I can be of assistance
WWW. WizardsMagicChest.com
Quality Magic Tricks At an Affordable Price
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Raising Money for a Teacher (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL