The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Denny, The History of Magic ? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidbreth
View Profile
New user
Angeles City, Philippines
69 Posts

Profile of davidbreth
Denny,

Thank you in advance for answering this question.

I have heard some of the "older" more experienced "magicians" say it is important to really get to "know" the history of magic.

On the flip side, I know several “successful magicians" in my area who are financially healthy, earn a good income and know little of the history of magic.

Which school of thought is correct or is this just a matter of opinion and why?
David Breth
Denny Haney
View Profile
1945 - 2019
48 Posts

Profile of Denny Haney
Hi Dave,
A personal opinion:
The "financially healthy" magicians who have said there is no need to know history of magic will most likley never move from whatever position they are at this moment. Sometimes magicians can be content with their own mediocrity.

Here is a copy of a newsletter I sent about History of Magic:

A Word from Denny...
Some personal thoughts...
The great Paul Rosini, one of the most successful magicians of our time once stated that he has learned more about performing magic by reading the life stories of other conjurers than he ever did from books and magazines explaining how to do tricks.
Think about the above statement. Doesn't it make sense?? How can one possibly learn to be great if he knows nothing about those who were great before him??
My thirty year career as a performer was based primarily on the study of magicians from the past. In general, the younger magician of today has approached magic in a different way. I have seen a great display of skill by young magicians. They have learned their sleights, moves, and effects very quickly from teaching DVDs and television. As skillful as they are, there is a lack of "foundation." Most are unaware of how to use their skill, present themselves as performers, or how to put together an act or show that will be commercially successful and pleasing to a lay audience.
The knowledge of the history of magic gives your craft the "soul" that is necessary to present a credible performance. No matter how great your tricks or effects, an audience can sense a feeling of "shallowness" in your presentations if you lack the necessary foundation upon which your art is built. Believe me, your audience can FEEL it come across.
The entire history of magic is an interesting, colorful, and exciting adventure. From the scribblings on the walls of Egyptian tombs to the television specials and Las Vegas spectaculars of today, the study of the history of magic is a true joy. It will make you laugh, cry, increase your heart beat, and fill your head with thoughts and adventures that will affect your performances for the rest of your life.
If you will look at every single successful magician of today, they have a wealth of knowledge in the history of magic. They read it, they live it, they think it, and most of all they LOVE it.
Just think about the magic that you do. Where did it begin, how did it evolve, and how did you get to where you are?? If the answer is "I learned it on a DVD," then you have missed that foundation that I spoke of earlier. Your performance has no soul.
Every time you perform an effect, you are becoming a part of magical history. You are affecting someone's life. They may talk about the effect they witnessed for years to come. If you feel that magic history is not important, than the effects you do throughout your lifetime will be equally as insignificant.
Be the best you can possibly be. Learn about your art. If mediocrity is "good enough for you" and you have no interest in the history of your art, then your chances of being a better performer are very slim.
=======================================================
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Goshman used to preach, "Knowledge is power."
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Denny Haney
View Profile
1945 - 2019
48 Posts

Profile of Denny Haney
Hi Pete,
Goshman most certainly was correct. Knowledge IS power.
I always say this....You can either read the books and gain the knowledge OR you can spend the rest of your life asking others who HAVE read the books. Having the knowledge is definitely better than relying on others the rest of your life.
Denny
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Denny: With the history of magic at our fingertips, and seeing the current trends in magic today, where do you see magic going? Followed by, Where would you like to see magic going? I am talking about performance trends, and tricks, not the vanishing of "Brick and Mortar shops"!

Best
Arthur Atsma
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The February 2007 entrée: Denny Haney » » Denny, The History of Magic ? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL