The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Installing WIndows 98 with Windows 2000 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
What is the best way to set up my hard drive so I can have Win98 with Win2000? Should I install Win98 first, then make a new partition and install Win2000 on it? I have Win2000 installed right now, but it doesn't want me to install Win98 from here or DOS.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

-Alex
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
If only you could get rid of Windows 2000. Worst OS made for a long time. Would be much easier to backup important stuff and do a clean install of 98 instead of 2000. It really is an upgrade. Try going to techtv.com and asking in their forums. The people there are very knowledgeable(sp?) and helpful.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Well, I disagree with Peedkyle 100%. I am a tech trainer, and I teach the network administrators how to work with Win2000. It's definately a superior product when compared to W98.

First of all, you cannot install w98 or DOS if you already have W2K...you have to go from oldest to newest. If you insist on keeping W98, then I'd recommend installing it first, then put W2k on a separate partition. Remember to NEVER format your C: drive with NTFS...otherwise, you'll never be able to boot into W98 again.

Bottom line: get rid of W98 and upgrade entirely to W2K...any questions, PM me.

Dan
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I dumped Windows 98 years ago, when Windows 2000 came out. I made the change and have never looked back. My son who was a die hard 98SE fan finally moved over to 2000 and his only regret is he didn't do it sooner.

If you are insistent on having both OS's on your system, the easiest way to do it is with Norton System Commander. There are other ways of doing it...like Vilago above stated as well as using Partition Magic and a couple of others, but I found System Commander to do the best job (the easiest too).

Good Luck,
Steven
Coram Deo
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
get rid of windows 2000 then get 98 on it, after that install the 2000 programs. this is what i did

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2003-01-11 22:34, Vilago wrote:
Well, I disagree with Peedkyle 100%. I am a tech trainer, and I teach the network administrators how to work with Win2000. It's definately a superior product when compared to W98.

First of all, you cannot install w98 or DOS if you already have W2K...you have to go from oldest to newest. If you insist on keeping W98, then I'd recommend installing it first, then put W2k on a separate partition. Remember to NEVER format your C: drive with NTFS...otherwise, you'll never be able to boot into W98 again.

Bottom line: get rid of W98 and upgrade entirely to W2K...any questions, PM me.

Dan

Exactly!!!
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
It's just my opinion that 98 and XP are the superior. I'm no preofessional, but for home use, I've seen a lot of problems with 2K.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I run 7 different operating systems on my home network

XP
2000 (both professional and server)
98 (first edition, I didn't like SE or ME even though I have both available)
Mandrake Linux
Redhat Linux
BeOS
QNX

I have one machine with 98 that has never crashed so to an extent, I see your point. I refuse to load any other OS on it even though I have better OSs available.

I'm running XP Home on this machine and it suits me pretty well but when I really need to do my multimedia editing or serious graphic work I plug in my Win 2000 drive. The only problems I have seen with Win 2K are either user related or the result of improper device drivers. Just my 2 cents.

A good forum for Windows related issues can be found HERE.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Peedkyle,

I've heard a lot of horror stories too, but overall W2K seems to be hands down more stable and usable than W98. I had many problems with W98 that all went away as soon as I installed W2K. As Rob points out, almost always any problems lie in the device drivers being used or user error.

Now, XP, on the other hand... Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Well, I've had them all.

Win 1.0
Win 3.1
Win 95
Win 98
Win ME
Win 2000
and Now I have Win XP and love it

I had no choice, I'm a "power user" which needs Lots of HD space, Video Memory and RAM Memory. My Video Card cost more than the computer system.

Each upgrade was a blessing. Now I am networked in the home. Go for the upgrade!
Dennis Michael
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
Like anything else new, there may be some problems with both W2K and XP, but the benefits far outweigh (my opinion) the growing pains...I also like XP a lot and use it every day.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2003-01-12 14:31, DenDowhy wrote:
Well, I've had them all.

Win 1.0
Win 3.1
Win 95
Win 98
Win ME
Win 2000
and Now I have Win XP and love it

Why is Windows 1.0 on a list of operating systems? Windows 1.0 was an application suite with a graphical user interface, not an operating system.

I don't care for Windows XP. I don't think Microsoft needs to be informed every time I install new software.
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Well, I did it, and it worked.

Now I have Win2000 and Win98 installed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Installing WIndows 98 with Windows 2000 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL