The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » History behind "What's Next" ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I am currently doing a short research on the history behind the effect "What's Next". Need help on the historical reference on how this effect began, how many versions evolved from the original and also how many knock-off versions are there around. Which magic dealer was selling the original?

I feel that it is good to know the origins of magic effects so we can credit the originator. And I believe that the origin of the above mentioned effect may not be known by many.

Greatly appreciate your assistance and thanks a million.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are referring to the one where the spots on a card change, that may go back to Theordore DeLand. What's Next was Tenyo's version, but Ken Brooke was manufacturing one before they did that used a different mechanical principle. It's the one with the diamond pips. Ace Place currently owns that one. The Delben Domino was the version that had the hole that appeared in the corner of the board. It is currently owned by Delben, which is owned by Danny Gurganus of Danny's Trix and Kicks. He has not produced it in years. Check the trademark records to see if it is still "live."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks again, Bill.

For the historical record, may I know the first origin, then the next that came after that, and the next and so on.

Recently I also noticed there are many knock-off versions sold every where. How many knock-off versions are there now?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
James:

I don't know how far back it goes. I know it was in some of of the magic sets that came out in the early 20th century.

I have no idea how many knock-offs there are.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I first learned it as a kind of optical illusion oddity when it was printed on a plain piece of cardboard and there were no moving spots. In that form, it may be ancient.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks again, Bill.

I managed to get a set from Ron Alessi and it did not have any moving spots or m****** and I was wondering whether this is a much earlier version from those sold today.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
In the earliest one I got to know, the diamond pips where moving along two white parallel threads, but I have no way to tell you who had created that and the difficulty in making it seems to indicate that it pre-dated the m****t versions
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The earliest one I've ever owned was called Pop-Eye Pips. This MAY be the one to which Lawrence was referring.

Julie
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Die Cock A Lorum, by a gent named Larick is described in an early issue of Lloyd Jones' BAT magazine.

I made one up in bigger size with the threads to hold the moving pips. I was square, like a die. Mine then unfolded to show a DOMINO as a gag finish ... then one more unfold and it was a card castle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » History behind "What's Next" ... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL