The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2003 entrée: Darwin Ortiz » » Palming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Mr. Ortiz:
I recently read in a response that you had given to someone (about a couple of affects in one of your books, something about the effects most likely to be overlooked) that these tricks might be overlooked unless the performer was very confident about his palming. Which brings me to my dilima-
I have a window between my pinky and ring finger on my left hand (the one I palm with)
It has proven very difficult for me to force my fingers to stay closed, but I often get "busted" fortunately, I only do this for close friends, etc. because I'm not about to perform something that I don't have perfected, but, at this rate I wondering if I'll ever get to a point where I feel confortable palming. Any advice? Thank you in advance. Lee
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Lee:

While I can’t comment specifically on your case, I’ll make some general observations about windows. Magicians will often hold up their hand flat to show you their windows. This means nothing since this isn’t the way you would hold your hand for a magicians’ palm. If they were to curve their hand and fingers in the manner necessary to palm a card, in 95% of cases those windows would disappear.

In most cases, flashing in the way you describe isn't caused by a window (i.e., an inherent anatomical trait), but just by forgetting to keep your fingers together. In An Evening with Charlie Miller, he offers a number of tips on palming. He starts by saying that the most important thing to remember is to keep your fingers together.

As simple as it sounds, it’s a very unnatural thing to do. That’s why you have to keep practicing until it becomes natural. You have to practice with a mirror to make sure you’re keeping the fingers together and practice without a mirror to make sure you do it even when you don’t have immediate visual feedback. (In another thread I talked about how to alternate practicing with and without a mirror.) With enough such practice, I’m sure you’ll be able to palm both deceptively and confidently.

Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
Thank you Mr. Ortiz for taking your valuable time to answer my question. It has been a pleasure and honor to corespond with you here at the Café. I'm sure I speak for everyone here at the Café in saying it has been a pleasure having you with us. Take care. Sincerely, Lee Foley III. Smile
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2003 entrée: Darwin Ortiz » » Palming » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL