The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Devil's Handkerchief (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
193 Posts

Profile of Lester
I use an absolutely super prop called the "The Hanky Panky Cloth". This is a utility prop invented by the late and great Pat Page. Just go http://www.patrickpagemagic.co.uk and then into "products" where you see the cloth fully described. I can wholeheartedly recommend it!

Best Magical Wishes,
Lester
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I like Wiz Kid "Wilhelmina's Witch Hank" that she invented for use with her "New Santa Chimney Blocks" in The Wizards' Journal #19. The design on the handkerchief changes when you make something appear or disappear. In her case, there is a silk painting of Santa on the handkerchief, front and back. When the block with Santa's head vanishes, the image of Santa vanishes, leaving a plain green silk, or just the background design of a Christmas Tree in front of which Santa was standing, according to this year's "improved" re-design. You have to love painting on silk as much as this kid does (age 11 in September), though, unless you can find existing silks with just the exact designs you want. She's very crafty.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2002-02-08 11:10, Harry wrote:

The only problem I see are the ones they make these days. Little tiny red handkerchiefs with horses and such printed as a design.

Wow, they still make the little red one with the horses on it! I got one of those thirty five years ago in a magic set. Do they still have the surged edges as well? I finally put mine to use in my cowboy magic show as the horse motif works for that.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
wizardol
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of wizardol
Suit lining fabric:

Richard is most likely refering to the "gold standard" for suit lining - namely Bemberg Rayon. This rayon fabric replaced silk as the preferred lining material many years ago, because it is very slippery and does not snag other pieces of clothing. This is exactly what you would want in a lining material. Bemberg rayon is a moderately expensive fabric, so polyester fabrics (Dacron) have been used instead. The polyester is not as functional as the rayon.

quote]
On 2005-11-15 15:30, hugmagic wrote:
Lynetta,
Actually good suit lining costs almost the same as the type of silk you are using. Eugene Berger and several others seem to think it ok as pocket square. A lot of it depends upon the suit lining used. I have been making this devils hank for over 6 years and shipped them all over the world and have never had anyone remark about the inappropriate look of the suit lining. It certainly is an asthetic thing no matter how you look at it. No right or wrong answer, I always say if something works for you great but it doesn't mean what I do won't work.

As I said, we both have out customers and that is fine. But I do know about silk versus suit lining. I have been making silks for over 20 years now so I have quite bit of experience with silks.

Richard

Posted: Nov 15, 2005 4:58pm
Wm,
I found the source on the devils hank by Eric Lewis. I could not find my Jim Steinmeyer reference but I suspect it is the same. It is found in "Continuation of Miracles" on page 232.

Basically, Mr. Lewis says to make an inner bag that hangs between the two silks. This is the way I have always made it. In addition, as suggested in Harry Anderson's book, I have added two small beads to detect which two corners to hold when vanishing the object.

There is only one other refinement that could be added that I ever heard of to a Devils Hank. That is to put clockspring in the opening to snap it shut when closed. I really don't think it is needed for 99% of the uses of the hank.

Richard
[/quote]
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Late response but...

Page 232 in Eric Lewis' Continuation of Miracles. Referred to by Steinmeyer on Page 46 of The Conjuring Anthology. While I agree with the design recommendations (in particular how the construction aids in concealing the object). It can still have issues if there is strong light behind you such as certain times of days in outdoor performances...

ajp
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Even later response regarding strong backlighting: That's why the inner workings should be made of black silk and not the same as the design fabric used for the outer covering. I use nice men's silk handkerchiefs when I want to get serious. See Qua-Fiki's "Babushka of Baba Yaga" (Wizards' Journal #21) for the type of silk handkerchief I'm talking about. However, his is not of a devilish nature but used in another way.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Doesn't your body block any back light problems? I never held my Devil's Hank out to the side while showing.

I think a lot of comments on the Café come from only inspecting the prop and not performing with the props.

@ Lester, I use that Pat Page Hanky as well, but it is not a one hank fits all item. The proper prop for the situation is the best solution.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I bought a Devil Hank from Jack Chanin about forty five years ago. He had the "no sag" Pocket inside, and it was great, JACK claimed to have invented the "no sag" feature. I've heard that Gen Grant also claimed to have "invented" it.

I have them made up in a "poly" material that resembles a nice table napkin. The "napkin" fits the routine that I use. I don't want it to look like a magic prop. As Bill Hegbli said just above, THE PROPER PROP FOR THE SITUATION IS THE BEST SOLUTION.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
There is a effect that came out a few years ago called Hell's Tea Towel by Aaron Paterson that gives a new look to the Devil's Handkerchief. Made like a dish towel and comes with some great routines.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I use a Viking Devil's Handkerchief, with it's no sag , quality construction and material..I've been very happy with it...and it works GREAT to get into the Viking/Himber Nest of Boxes Routine..this Devil's Hank is designed to be used to Vanish/Switch a Watch perfectly., and I like that.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
This is an old thread, but a continuing problem.
When I first needed a Devil's hank, I could not find one that looked very good, and the prices were shocking (before the time that this thread was started).

When looking through Pier 1 Imports one day, I found a set of colored, cotton napkins with a black edging. The pattern on the cloth was only on one side, so I bought two and sewed them together, back to back. I did such a good job of it that I found that I had to mark the opening in order to find it, using a very small dab of iridescent white paint. Quite opaque, I have never had to worry about anyone seeing through it, even in bright sunlight! The two napkins cost me less than $10. I still use it today!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Devil's Handkerchief (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL