The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ricky Jay's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2054 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
What is the deal with this book? I just saw a copy on eBay, which currently has 32 bids and is priced at $102.50. I've also seen promotional _posters_ for the book sell for more than the price of a quality magic book. And from the few descriptions I've found, it's a book on, well, throwing cards.

:huh:

Obviously I'm missing something. Can someone fill me in on what makes this such a prized possession?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
I think that a couple of things may have contributed to bumping up the value...

1. The book is out of print and is tough to find.

2. Ricky Jay is famous.

3. People on E-Bay often either ask for too much money or people bid extremely high.

A collectable item is worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. To someone with little or no interest in the subject, the book is extremely overpriced. To those that are fans of Ricky Jay or book collectors, this is a rare find for them so they are willing to pay quite a bit for it.
ME
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
The problem too is that there is very little written on scaling and since this book is all about scaling, well, you know. I heard they've put it on disk now so you can read it off your computer. I think it runs thirty or forty bucks.

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
kris attard
View Profile
Elite user
Malta
437 Posts

Profile of kris attard
Sable, by scaling do you mean card throwing?
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Yes, and it is the only magic related book with full female nudity! Smile Smile My local magic shop has a softcover copy for $300. I skimmed through it and boy was I surprised with what I saw. Definitely not a kids book, but it would be really cool to own. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
You might be surprised to find Jay's book still sitting in the hobby section of your favorite book store as opposed to magic store (that's where I got mine several years back). I know someone who just bought a softcover at Walden books just last year (must have been sitting there ignored by laymen for ages).

The book is in my opinion way overated. Yeah, it's cool, but it's more like a 70's joke to promote Ricky Jay. There is no new knowledge in there, and everything can be found in other magic sources (except for the partially nude lady of course).
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Sorry Enigma, no time to now to type it out, but the reference (if no one had emailed you yet ) can also be found in the Hugard's THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF CARD TRICKS (under The Perpetual Almanac or The Soldier's Prayer Book on pg. 374) and Giobbi's CARD COLLEGE Volume 2. If your still high and dry let me know and I'll type it our for you. It is a great piece of handy knowledge.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Well I just saw a guy named Ricky (young fellow 25-30 years old) throwing playing cards outside a distance in excess of 100 feet.

When I first saw him throwing from a distance, it looked like he was throwing Rocks. But they were all bicyle back poker sized playing cards.

He says he has been measured at over 72 yards and after seeing him, I have no reason to doubt that!

I dont know if I would pay $300 to learn that from a book, but it sure drew a crowd of magicians to watch and shake their heads.

And I have to believe that laymen would be equally impressed.

I will find out his last name from a friend who should know him. But I have to say that it was an impressive impromptu display of scaling at its finest.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
I have the book and while it doesn't teach you a whole lot it does teach you some things you wont learn anyware else. With Jay's throwing technique I can easily throw somewhere around 100 feet on a good day. Its a great feeling to have a croud stand in disbelief while you throw a card 100 times what the strongest person in the whole group can.
I tried to make a nice little routine about card throwing and its use in warfare against the evil empire of opressive court cards. However, I lack in the area of accuracy so this routine became pretty darn impossible to perform consitently.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
isn't 211 the record? or is it 201? its something with a 2 and a 1...
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I just saw Ricky (I missed his last name again...but iti s the same guy I talked abou in my earlier post) last night at IBM 161 monthly meeting near Akron, Ohio (I was a guest) and he acknowledged that he now holds the Guinnes world record at 72 yards, which seems to me to be about 214 feet.

He also said that the throws that won the record will be on TV in a couple of weeks - I didnt hear a time and date on it.

But this guy can really make a card fly and I have seen him do it outside - which is even more amazing..

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
All of the above reasons are true.
1. Ricky Jay is famous now and is quite an entertainer.
2. The book was published back in the 70's and is hard to find.
3. It does contain a nude model posing as if demonstrating some of the techniques.

I met Ricky back in the 70's in Chicago when he stopped by te round table. Back then he did a tremedous cull from a shuffled deck. Very quick and very smooth. I guess by now it must really be great. Smile
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ricky Jay's (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL