The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » 1 hand shuffle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danny
View Profile
Loyal user
England
269 Posts

Profile of danny
I have seen a couple of people doing what looks like a riffle shuffle in one hand. Does any one know a source to learn this from?
Thanks
Dan
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Jeff McBride's Card Manipulation series has it. I believe that it is on Volume 1, but you better look at the listings to make sure. It's also taught in Jerry Cestkowski's Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. I think I have also seen it taught on a webpage, but I don't remember the website.
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
It's on Volume 3 of The Art of Card Manipulation. One of the first things on the tape.
Corey King
Switch
View Profile
New user
Auckland, New Zealand
79 Posts

Profile of Switch
Hey Danny

You can also learn this from Dante Kings 'Practical Methods' video.
http://www.danteking.com

Also I believe the website KC was talking about is:

http://home.att.net/~sleights/card.htm
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
To be honest I spent about a week and a half learning this perfectly, and yet I never use it. it is impractical. You won't use it when performing stage, it is too fiddly for closeup and it is quite hard to retain a top or bottom card using it.

That's why I would recommend learning something useful like the Hot Shot Cut or Simple Switch by Paul Harris (both in Art Of Astonishment Volume 3.)

M@t Smile
dchung
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
616 Posts

Profile of dchung
Darwin Ortiz also explains it in the context of a gambling routine in his book Cardshark.
John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of John McCormack
Quote:
On 2003-02-09 11:06, m@t wrote:
To be honest I spent about a week and a half learning this perfectly and yet I never use it. It is impractical. You won't use it when performing stage, it is too fiddly for closeup and it is quite hard to retain a top or bottom card doing it.

That's why I would recommend learning something useful like the Hot Shot Cut or Simple Switch by Paul Harris (both in Art Of Astonishment Volume 3).

M@t Smile

If you practice this it won't be fiddly at all, I find when I do it, it is just as easy and sure fire as a table riffle shuffle.

People like Ricky Jay have used this with the Waterfall in their close-up work, it really depends on what you're doing and how you present yourself.

John.
MichalMystic
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of MichalMystic
Practice this and you can do it smoothly.
I also use it as a false top stock shuffle which makes it very easy to retain the top or bottom card.
aby9plp
View Profile
Loyal user
Montreal, Canada
255 Posts

Profile of aby9plp
Hey m@t, how can you say this is impratical?!? You are right in saying that! BUT this was NEVER meant to be pratical. This is NOT supposed to be used as a magic sleight or anything! It's supposed to be used as a FLOURISH and to show your skill! Nothing else. Well, you could just as well use it as a legitimate shuffle!
-aka-
Phoenix
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Quote:
On 2003-02-09 13:53, dchung wrote:
Darwin Ortiz also explains it in the context of a gambling routine in his book Cardshark.

Darwin also teaches a one-hand faro shuffle in volume one of Cardsharks.
William Holcomb
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
This is one difficult move, but it is definitely worth the effort. It gives you real satisfaction once you can weave the packets together. It took me about a month to get used to it.
John McCormack
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of John McCormack
Quote:
On 2003-02-09 21:05, aby9plp wrote:
Hey m@t, how can you say this is impratical?!? You are right in saying that! BUT this was NEVER meant to be pratical. This is NOT supposed to be used as a magic sleight or anything! It's supposed to be used as a FLOURISH and to show your skill! Nothing else. Well, you could just a well use it as a legitimate shuffle!

I agree with most of what you've said except for the skill part. I don't think flourishes should be used as demonstrations of skill if you are a magician. Anyone who uses flourishes with their magic to show skill doesn't know the meaning of magic. Flourishes should be used to show elegance and beauty with your magic, not skill (unless you present yourself as a sleight-of-hand artist).

When I say that they should be used to show elegance and beauty with magic, I mean that you should be showing your comfort and familiarity with the object (cards/coins etc). This means that all flourishes should be done 100% perfectly, and any sign of a struggle which makes it look like it's difficult indicates that you've lost, as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't agree with magicians who say flourishes should only be used in manipulation acts; why not in close-up? Can't close-up magic be elegant and beautiful?

I do use flourishes myself by the way, I do close-up using coins and cards. If you take magic more seriously than flourishes, then flourishes should be used to enhance your magic. This means blending them together and making it fit your persona. But any flourish you do decide to use with your magic should fit; it should also be done effortlessly, and with a relaxed manner.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

Take it easy,

John. Smile
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
John,

Yes, I agree with you. But in this case the one handed shuffle is really just a demonstration of your skill, because there isn't really a need to do it in the first place.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
The move is also in Card College (volume 2, I believe).

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » 1 hand shuffle (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL