The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Learning from a master of misdirection (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

74magic92
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN area
38 Posts

Profile of 74magic92
I didn't really know where to put this.

I spent about an hour yesterday watching a video of Slydini(link at bottom of page) trying to take notes and learn the subtleties of his performance so that I could further my magic.

here is a list of things I picked up. Some of these are basic others are not. (if you saw any other things please feel free to add them to the list)

-one hand to bring things to table

-uses tips of index and thumb to show things

-looks at what he is doing....makes eye contact only when explaining things or something big happens

-makes lots of big hand gestures

-seems relaxed....laid back

-does magic hands allot when vanishing or showing hands empty

-uses BIG misdirection moves to cover up small secret ones

-follows his misdirecting hands with his eyes

-all one fluid motion... or jerky on specific movements

-leans with whole body when misdirecting

-opens mouth when misdirecting (as if in awe)

-checks behind hand before opening to show vanish

-opens hand from pinky to index (closes same way)

-rests hands on edges of table

-holds things at eye level when showing them to the audience

-acts as if he hopes it works then at the end seems seems to act like "see told you I'd fool you"

-Smiles at end

Now if we could use this list plus put in our own style it would probably make a big difference in showmanship and misdirection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i30qx9eI1r0
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Slydini certainly was the master of misdirection. You got a lot of good insights from this video. In the mid-1970s, Karl Fulves wrote an excellent book on Syldini's close up magic. He detailed much of his approach to misdirection. What few people realize, but which is also detailed in that book, is Slydini's use of timing. He coordinated every movement. If you are interested in Syldini's magic, you might want to find a copy of The Best of Slydini .. And More. It was published by Tannen's and is still available for around $60-70. This was before the advent of video, so to capture Syldini's movements there is one volume of text and another volume of photographs showing every move in sequence. It is really a treasure of a book, and one of my all-time favorites.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Good observations 74.
A lot of what you saw is in the book mentioned by Gary.

Slydini was unique.
His style will not work for everyone but the lessons in misdirection are superb.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-07-28 22:03, Gary Dayton wrote:
Slydini certainly was the master of misdirection. You got a lot of good insights from this video. In the mid-1970s, Karl Fulves wrote an excellent book on Syldini's close up magic. He detailed much of his approach to misdirection. What few people realize, but which is also detailed in that book, is Slydini's use of timing. He coordinated every movement. If you are interested in Syldini's magic, you might want to find a copy of The Best of Slydini .. And More. It was published by Tannen's and is still available for around $60-70. This was before the advent of video, so to capture Syldini's movements there is one volume of text and another volume of photographs showing every move in sequence. It is really a treasure of a book, and one of my all-time favorites.

Actually Karl Fulves had so much material that he eventually put out TWO 2-volume sets as described above, the other one was "The Magical World of Slydini" and is in the same format as the "The Best of Slydini...and More"
Also Lewis Ganson's classic "The Magic of Slydini" is available in an annotated edition, with notes and corrections.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
It is interesting that Misdirection is not working when I watched the video in small size. If misdirection does not work, his left hand looks very suspicious.

Hideo Kato
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I haven't had a chance to watch all of these yet, but the ones I have are amazing. I have been watching full-screen, so I have not had the same experience Kato San describes, i.e. the misdirection not working in the small screen size.
What I find astounding is that even though some of these are routines I have studied in the literature, and KNOW when the moves take place, I literally CANNOT burn the moves, because Tony Slydini's misdirection is so powerful.
(I know many here in the forum hate the term "misdirection", and argue that it is an incorrect term, however I don't want to club that dead horse again in this thread- that's what Slydini and his collaborators called it so I think it's the appropriate term here)
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Of course I was not intending to criticize Slydini's performance. I wanted to point 'Misdirection' works in close up, does not work if audience is distant from the performer. Viewing a video in small size is like watching magic from the distant seat from the performer.

I remember someone wrote that 'Pass' can be very visible if done on stage. I wanted to point such workable range of 'Misdirection'.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
If you view in small screen, you will see other secret moves more clearly.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You really must read the material. If you can find some good videos, get them.

Here is a source you might want to check http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1192

Most important -- find someone who learned from Slydini and study with him. Charlie Cambra is one. So is Bill Wisch. So is Cellini. So is Johnny Fox.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Quote:
On 2007-07-31 20:39, Hideo Kato wrote:
Of course I was not intending to criticize Slydini's performance. I wanted to point 'Misdirection' works in close up, does not work if audience is distant from the performer. Viewing a video in small size is like watching magic from the distant seat from the performer.

I remember someone wrote that 'Pass' can be very visible if done on stage. I wanted to point such workable range of 'Misdirection'.

Hideo Kato

Kato-san,

You are completely correct (I think), and so perceptive. Misdirection for a close-up magician is meant to be close-up! I was fortunate to have seen Slydini work numerous times in the mid-to-late 1970s. It was always a different experience sitting next to him or at the same table. You really couldn't "see" any moves, even though you might have known what to expect. You always were compelled to follow his misdirection when close in. It was never quite the same magic when standing back away from his performance (though even then, it was pretty darn good!).

Also, Syldini had one of the most deceptive passes. The mechanics are very different from the the classic pass and quite invisible in the close-up situation. He wasn't known for his card magic, but I always consider his Helicopter Card and Invisible Pass to be true classics of card magic.

Gary
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Quote:
On 2007-07-30 06:55, DStachowiak wrote:

Actually Karl Fulves had so much material that he eventually put out TWO 2-volume sets as described above, the other one was "The Magical World of Slydini" and is in the same format as the "The Best of Slydini...and More"
Also Lewis Ganson's classic "The Magic of Slydini" is available in an annotated edition, with notes and corrections.

DS,

You are right. Fulves wrote two volumes on Slydini. The first volume (The Best of Slydini ... and More") was on his close-up magic and the second volume (The Magical World of Slydini) is his stage material. Both are teriffic books.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Do not forget "Slydini Encores". I have watched Slydini on 3 occasions, one thing I remember him teaching was, when you reach to leave something (lap) and at the same time you are to take something (as in his Imp Pass), you must only think "take", not leave & take. This is hard to explain, but I know others know what it means.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Speaking of the Helicopter Card, has anyone else ever performed it? We all know how he did it but I have never seen or heard of anyone else who could do it.
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Slydini was a great master of misdirection. His style was different from all others. He has great students like Rocco,Tony Clark, Cellini, Doug Henning...

You can fing good Dvds about Slydini on the market. Also he has great books that explains his phylosophy.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Something that 74magic92 did not mention in his original post, but which must be mentioned at least somewhere in this thread, is that Slydini's movements fit him perfectly. They were his natural way of moving. If anyone else tried to imitate them, it could very well look ridiculous. Natural movements are the key.

The problem with magic videos is that you are looking at a flat screen. You are not looking at a live person performing magic. Your eyes can take in the whole thing and see not only the misdirective movement, but the movement that is supposed to be ignored.

The camera never blinks. And, it never looks "over there."

Misdirection on television has to go to the depth of misdirecting the mind as well as the eye.

In fact, all misdirection should be aimed toward the mind.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bill, if you're still around.

How would someone distinguish between what is unique to Slydini, and what is a principle that all could apply (and to their own style/mannerisms?)

For example, I started reading through The Annotated Magic of Slydini, and wonder how much of the detail given in the routines I should try to employ?

I am also considering getting The Master of Misdirection. The description of this seems to focus on various principles, but would appreciate some input.

Also, recommendations for learning misdirection of the mind?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
The book Master of Misdirection is a wonderfully comprehensive volume of Slydini's routines and techniques. I highly recommend it.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I highly recommend that serious students of The Art of Magic study everything they can about Quintino Marucci (AKA Tony Slydini).

I had the privilege of meeting the man at the Greatest Magic Convention I have ever been to in my life: The Faucett Ross Magic Fest in St. Joseph, Missouri, in June of 1983.

My wife and I took him to lunch and as we were talking he asked me to show him a trick.....but I graciously declined (after all....this was Slydini.....How could I possibly impress him?)....yet,,,,,he persisted.....so I took a deck of cards out, gave them a cut.....and his hand reached out and went on top of my hand holding the deck of cards....and he said to me, in his broken English...."Do that again".....so....I gave the cards another cut....and he said to me with a BIG smile on his face..."that's the best false cut I have ever seen in my life." He then GAVE me a set of his Slydini Silks telling me that he wanted me to have them, then proceeded to spend an hour with me showing me how to use them.

Vernon was there, and totally unlike Vernon, who was a "Multi-Yapper" (meaning that he typically was talking to six or so Magicians at a time) when Slydini was "on"...Vernon was absolutely and totally absorbed with watching every single nuance of Slydini's performances........it was actually quite amazing to witness this....

As usual, I have to agree with Bill Palmer......you would have had to see Slydini live and in person to fully appreciate how good the man was.

A totally unique gift to the art of performing Magic!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks, but any thoughts on deciding what would be unique to Slydini, and what would represent a "principle"?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
668 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Slydini employed many, many principles.

You want a list? It’s out there, you have only to look.

I suppose you might want it spelled out, so it’s all clear. That takes some time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Learning from a master of misdirection (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL