The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A "Great and Powerful Oz" moment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Hang on, the subject will make sense in a moment...

Last night I was sitting in the park with my mother-in-law, her "friend", a random guy who was hanging around, and my daughter, watching them make beaded jewelry. The conversation turned to the fact that I was practicing magic when the guy (hereafter known as the Spectator) gets really interestd and asks me what kind of magic I do. I answered "mostly card, some coin, rope, cup and balls, rubber bands... I guess that's about it." (please note, I'm still trying to find my preferred medium, so I'm playing effects of several varieties.)

I happened to have three ropes of different length in my pocket, so I removed them. I presented the ropes saying "this is a minor illusion... you see these ropes appear to be different sizes. In fact, they are really all about the same size... here, I'll show you..." and so I did.

His eyes grew to saucer-like proportions. "That was real magic! Wasn't it!?" I agreed that it certainly seemed so. It seemed as though this spectator had a genuine magical experience. A bunch of questions followed, including how could he learn to do that? (I referred him to Wilson's CCIM, I've never seen such excited sincerity) Was it really magic and not just some sleight of hand trick... (I assured him that what he saw was quite real, and not simply a physical matter.) and so on.

I stayed true to the line that magic was indeed real; I had truly just done some; he could learn to do the same thing.

His reaction was one of the strongest I've seen. It was the polar opposite of the kid who says "I saw how you did that!"

I know someone else around here has experienced this type of thing before. How do you keep your head and not "buy into your own press" so to speak?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Great story . . . thanks for sharing
Cards never lie
Froste
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Froste
Thanks! and you're welcome for the sharing.

The point of the sharing was really that I was kinda freaked out by this guy's extreme reaction. This is the first time I've ever been treated like someone with Supernatural Power. How do people deal with something like that?
Jay Austin
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of Jay Austin
There are as many reactions out there as people. It is great to see someone amazed and entertained by what we do. It is a great compliment to a performance when we get a reaction like that. Enjoy those moments when they happen. If you get a reaction like this it will help enhance the experience for others that are around. It is much better than those that try to ruin the experience for others.
Jay Austin

http://austin-computer-solutions.com/
Hire a tech, not a geek.
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I recently had one of the strongest reactions that I remember. I was in Vegas at what really can't be called a bar--it was a small shop for one of the local breweries in the area. As I sampled a pint of fine stout, I performed a few effects for the woman behind the counter. At the end of one of the effects, she just looked at me, deep into my eyes. Didn't say a word. Just looked into my eyes and I looked back at her and there was this connection that I didn't remember ever feeling before. It was quite the moment until my wife, who was seated next to me, cleared her throat and ruined the whole thing.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Your story is great! And, illustrates something that I have also noted over the years. I call it, "Real magic just happens" theory. It goes like this: When you show up to do a paid, formal magic show most everyone knows what to expect. You ARE the 'magician' and you are going to 'do' tricks. What happens is expected to a certain degree although hopefully 'what' you do is not expected. But, the 'unexpected' IS ..... well, EXPECTED. Thus, although folks can be fooled, amazed, even REALLY amazed, that is in fact what they are there for.

But...when you get that chance to do something for someone that is NOT expecting 'magic' the force of the effect is often much greater than you the performer expect, because what we are used to is what I describe above! It works both on YOU the performer and on the SPECTATOR. There is a kind of unexpected synergy. The spectator is not expecting to BE a spectator and thus enters more into the experience, falling into it if you will in a way that engulfs both himself AND you the performer. Suddenly, something happens that in the transient moment all unexpected becomes LITERALLY....REAL magic. No 'tricks' were expected and looked for. No, what happened was a kind of accident of meetings. You were there and able to DO the magic. The spectator was there and willing to be amazed without knowing that amazement was coming and thus the AFFECT upon the watcher was many times greater than that in a formal show whose very being is suffused with expectation.

The moral of the story is this: If you really want to see folks blown away always be ready to do at least ONE routine that you know blows folks away even when they are ready to be amazed. The affect upon the unwary will be that much more satisfying and frankly because of that more fun. Best,
Brad Burt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Good job Froste.

Here's what happened to me.

A few years ago I was a guest at a wedding reception.
I had no intention of performing in a formal manner but decided to bring a few 'helpers' with me that I felt I could do casually in the situation.
At our table people talked and I fiddled with a matchbook and laid it aside.
After a few moments I took out a cigarette and the matchbook floated into the air and to my hand.
One woman standing by started saying loudly, "Oh my god! Oh my god! Did you see that!", back up and nearly tripped over an empty chair. She was truly in awe.

Then there's those moments when we all tap our glasses so the wedding couple will kiss. Well, I say, "Oh no, not again!" as the spoon I hold slowly begins to bend.
Jaws drop and I pretend to shy away and repair the spoon.
The "Self Folding Bill", one buck, in combo with a switch for a five was another I used at the bar when tipping.
I got strange looks the rest of the night and loved it.

I also recall vanishing a BIC lighter at a bachelor party with a simple cigarette vanish. Two guys I was talking to took a couple of steps back, jaws dropping and eyes wide. I later did a few other tricks which went over well but not as well as when they didn't know I practiced magic.

I love these people. Smile
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Jazz's stories are perfect in illustration of the added power of the 'Unexpected Magic Moment'. That which you 'catch' as it seems to happen spontaneously is much stronger than that which are set for and expecting.

The cool thing is that you can begin the attempt and practice of purposefully adding these moments into what you do. IF... you do so, be prepared for some scary moments when the reaction is much stronger than YOU are ready for. Best,
Brad Burt
Timm
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
56 Posts

Profile of Timm
Quote:
On 2007-08-03 15:19, Brad Burt wrote:
Your story is great! And, illustrates something that I have also noted over the years. I call it, "Real magic just happens" theory. It goes like this: When you show up to do a paid, formal magic show most everyone knows what to expect. You ARE the 'magician' and you are going to 'do' tricks. What happens is expected to a certain degree although hopefully 'what' you do is not expected. But, the 'unexpected' IS ..... well, EXPECTED. Thus, although folks can be fooled, amazed, even REALLY amazed, that is in fact what they are there for.

But...when you get that chance to do something for someone that is NOT expecting 'magic' the force of the effect is often much greater than you the performer expect, because what we are used to is what I describe above! It works both on YOU the performer and on the SPECTATOR. There is a kind of unexpected synergy. The spectator is not expecting to BE a spectator and thus enters more into the experience, falling into it if you will in a way that engulfs both himself AND you the performer. Suddenly, something happens that in the transient moment all unexpected becomes LITERALLY....REAL magic. No 'tricks' were expected and looked for. No, what happened was a kind of accident of meetings. You were there and able to DO the magic. The spectator was there and willing to be amazed without knowing that amazement was coming and thus the AFFECT upon the watcher was many times greater than that in a formal show whose very being is suffused with expectation.

The moral of the story is this: If you really want to see folks blown away always be ready to do at least ONE routine that you know blows folks away even when they are ready to be amazed. The affect upon the unwary will be that much more satisfying and frankly because of that more fun. Best,

I whole heartedly agree with Brad. Too often I see magicians FORCE their will upon anybody they can corner. I wish more of them would sit back, wait, and let "real" magic happen.
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I love the people who watch magic to be entertained and not how to figure things out.

I kinda wish I didn't know how some tricks are done, you are always more amazed not knowing.

I guess that why young kids love magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A "Great and Powerful Oz" moment (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL