The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do spectators see a servante? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
If you have a servante attached to your closeup table/pad, do spectators see it when you are packing up, and just figure it's for storage?

Or does it need to remain secret?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Allowing them to see the servant will make them suspect all kind of things. I would not reveal it at all.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I do not think it is that important if they see it.. unless special attention is brought about it as you pack up.

Folks don't know what it is anyway.. So.. what could they possible think.

"OH!!! so that's how he did it?" Did what?? They don't know what it is for or when/how it was used..
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
James is absolutely right . . . when they discover something, they might pour their suspicion on it
Cards never lie
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
James is right, some people are very suspicious, BUT if they catch a glimpse of your servante while you are packing up, then allow them to see into it. They will realize that it can only hold things and it isn't how you found their chosen card.

Or you could just lie to them, and tell them that you keep an extra deck of cards in there in case your deck gets ruined. You could also tell them that you keep coins, a pen, a handkercheif, etc. in there just in case you need to do a trick.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
It is about as inportant as not letting people seeing a shelf in your table. Inportant for some, not inportant for others.

For the most part, I can not imagine why you would want them to see it at all.

Bob
matt kemp
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of matt kemp
Quote:
On 2007-08-08 19:42, matt kemp wrote:
James is right, some people are very suspicious, BUT if they catch a glimpse of your servante while you are packing up, then allow them to see into it. They will realize that it can only hold things and it isn't how you found their chosen card.

Or you could just lie to them, and tell them that you keep an extra deck of cards in there in case your deck gets ruined. You could also tell them that you keep coins, a pen, a handkercheif, etc. in there just in case you need to do a trick.

I have changed my mind completely. I am a hobbyist so I only show my friends and family my magic, and a few of them have seen my shelf under my table after I'm done and they tell me that they know that the final loads come from that shelf. I try to tell them otherwise, but they don't buy it. So, you should keep your servante hidden.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Matt:

Once the audience has formed their own perception, they will not believe in anything you try to tell them. You cannot change their mind after that.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
As far as a servante is concerned don't make a big deal about about but don't come right out and show it off either. If you make too much effort to hide something it is just as bad or worse than announcing that you have it.

on another note:

Quote:
JamesTong said:
Once the audience has formed their own perception, they will not believe in anything you try to tell them. You cannot change their mind after that.

It would be extremely hard at that moment I agree... and you are right, they won't believe anything you merely /tell/ them. But what if you show them?

Let me relate what happened to me once: a lady where I work that once announced with authority that everything magicians produce and vanish goes up their sleeves. She went on to say that without sleeves they couldn't do any of that stuff. I, wearing short sleeves and "bare handed," produced a silk handkerchief and then proceeded to vanish it again. Her mouth gaped open. She was totally astounded. How could I have done that? I didn't have any sleeves for it come from and go back into. She later told me she never would have believed it if she hadn't seen it with her own eyes.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
chuckn34404
View Profile
Regular user
Bend, Oregon
124 Posts

Profile of chuckn34404
Servante and/or black art wells should not be exposed to the spectators. Plan ahead as to how to keep from exposing them. These steps should be as important as the performance itself.

Chuck
Chuckn
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
It is possible to conceal and camouflage servantes and wells to appear to be something else. They don't always have to take the traditional form. Check out my "Visible Invisible Well" article in The Wizards' Journal #9 (on my site).
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Do spectators see a servante? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL