The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Red Hot Mama Giveaway (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Greetings!

I am looking for opinions re: the performer signing the "red" card on it's face ahead of time as an item to leave behind with the spectator post illusion. While it will be a reminder of your visit to their table, do you feel it will diminish the presented effect by personalizing the card?

Thanks for your opinions in advance!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... Beer! Smile
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I do Red Hot Mama very often.
IMHO I think that having it signed is
'too impossible'!
Then effect is amazing without a signature.
Why not sign it after the card is revealed?
al-fannin
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of al-fannin
I think it might appear a bit presumptious to sign a "Red Hot Mama" card ahead of time. Might be better, after the effect, to ask the person's name and then write something complimentary on the card like:

Thanks for helping, Raquel.
or
To Raquel, a great assistant.
Dano, the Magician.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Come on, signed cards are great for creating the "impossible" which is what magic is suppoesed to be. Do you want an audience to merely say "it's just a trick" or witness the ipossible. I do a version of Red Hot Momma and it KILLS! - as strong as any card magic out there. Now notice I said card magic. If I wanted it to be a card trick I might not have them sign the card. I've had people come up to me on the streets and say: "Hey you're the magic guy" and open their wallet to show the signed card.

koz
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
Chris Carter has a MAGNIFICENT take on this, I think it was published in the Linking Ring in 1993 under the name Lucky Card(?). This routine does end up with card on the table being signed. The whole parade in the Linking Ring is excellent and well worth checking out.
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
Well I did this yesterday at my mother-in-law's birthday (dont like here that much) . I had the red card signed with congratulations and she noticed the suit saying "Oh my god it's also the 10 of spades". Very cool reactions.

Niels
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
You might be interested in my take on this effect, where the red card, permanently altered, is given to the spectator to keep, and the first, signed card is found in your pocket. It's called "Red Hot Mama's Lips" and it appears in my 2001 lecture notes, my book, "Great Scott! It's Card Magic!" and on my upcoming DVD, "great Scott! It's Magic!"
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Scott, when's the DVD going to be ready and what might it include?

Best,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

It should be ready within the next few weeks. Contents:

1. Idaho Travelers
2. A Visit to Boise (My version of "The Visitor")
3. Red Hot Mama's Lips
4. Peanut, Butter & Jelly (my sponge routine)
5. Magic Western Union (My presentation of "Flying Eagles" with a double-kicker. Larry jennings said this was the best version of this effect)
6. What the...? (Simplified, streamlined handling of Marlo's "Devlish Miracle")
7. Universal Appeal (Super clean version of Fulves' "Universal Card")
8. Treasure Valley Twist (super strong, very easy version of Dingle's "We'll Twist if You Insist")
9. Simply Stop (Simple, effective handling for "Stop trick" for parlor/platform)
10. Magic Jumprope (Showpiece rope routine for kids/family audiences in parlor/platform)
11. Great Scott's Ring & Rope Routine
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
PaulEds
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of PaulEds
After doing more research, I've also found another version of this routine in my library which you may find useful. It's by Dan Fleshman, it's the standard routine, again with a signed card, which eventually finds it's way into your wallet.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Scott,
Glad to see your famous sponge ball routine in there as well as the rope and ring and rope routines! How will we know when it's ready? Check your website I assume.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Ron Crumley
View Profile
Elite user
1950 - 2012
448 Posts

Profile of Ron Crumley
Scott,
As a new Café member, I second Jim's anticipation to the release of your DVD.

Anyone with even limited experience in magic can read the effects list to be included on your DVD and get excited over this reputation-making material. (especially your PB&J and R&R rountines!)

Thanks for making an all-points announcement when the "launch" takes place.

Ron

Smile
mitrof
View Profile
New user
Sunny South Florida
54 Posts

Profile of mitrof
Since purchasing Great Scott's lecture notes, I've performed Scott's "Red Hot Mama's Lips" hundreds of times -- IT KILLS!

In this routine, everything makes sense.

If you do RHM and think it's strong -- try RHM's Lips, you won't believe how much stronger the reactions will be.

-Frank
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
6586 Posts

Quote:
On 2003-02-18 16:42, PaulEds wrote:
After doing more research, I've also found another version of this routine in my library which you may find useful. It's by Dan Fleshman, it's the standard routine, again with a signed card, which eventually finds it's way into your wallet.
The Fleshman idea (Dan is a good friend of mine) is what led me to the finish of my routine. We each now use the other's ides in our routines. When I showed Dan my version, he said, "You've taken it to the next level!"
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Red Hot Mama Giveaway (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL