The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Where to find Conc.Sulphuric Acid in our daily life ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Liyao
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Liyao
I am making some chemical magic in my show and need some help from you guys. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to obtain Conc. Sulphuric Acid in the things in our daily life. I was told that using the acid in the car battery and a little boil will make the sulphuric acid to be concentrated? Is this the truth?

If not what's the alternative?

Thanks pals
Liyao
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
First of all, be EXTREMELY careful with sulphuric acid. It is a major dehydrator, ie. it loves water. Get it on your skin and it will eat away very happily. It is highly active even diluted, it actually has
"volitility peaks" (dunno if that's the correct scientific term) at 30% and 60% dilution. Some pool shops sell it as an alternative to hydochloric acid which is much safer.

Car battery acid can be heated, outside with good ventilation, until white fumes appear. Concentrated sulphuric acid is 2 1/2 times heavier than water, ie. 1 litre weighs 2 1/2 kgs. I presume you want this to ignite a chlorate mixture? be careful, chlorates have many hazards of their own, being responsible for a large number of accidents. Oh, and conc. h2so4 will absorb moisture from the air so keep it sealed.

I accept no responsibility for the use of this information!

magically,
ric
BLAZE
View Profile
New user
london ,England
13 Posts

Profile of BLAZE
if my memory serves me correctly, fools gold (iron pyrite) contains sulphuric acid and is quite easy to extract if you know how. (but due to the nature of acid is extremely dangerous) I found out this by heating some fools gold and it exploded into hudreads of hot little pieces (so glad I had safty goggles on that day) and decided to find out why.

The reason, it has sulpher in its chemical make up but, if you already do not know this, should you be playing with chemicals? Is there not an alternative way to achive your effects? There's a huge and wonderful range of safer pyrotechnics avalable.

I'm assuming it's pyrotechs your on about.
Stay safe.

BLAZE
that is not dead which can eternal lie
yet with strange eons even death may die
H.P.Lovecraft
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Quote:
On 2003-02-14 20:48, Liyao wrote:
I am making some chemical magic in my show and need some help from you guys. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to obtain Conc. Sulphuric Acid in the things in our daily life. I was told that using the acid in the car battery and a little boil will make the sulphuric acid to be concentrated? Is this the truth?

If not what's the alternative?

Thanks pals
Liyao

If you can find another way to do your effects, I'd suggest it. Sulpheric and nitric acid are much to dangerous even to keep around, if only because of the fumes, and then when the time comes to dispose of them you have a whole 'nother set of problems. It will eat your drains and will harm the environment. That said, I wonder why you would want to make your own? Chem supply houses sell it as do stores that sell prospecting equipment. It's cheap, but takes care. Boiling off some is dangerous, both from the acid itself (splatter) and the fumes.
Slim Price/sanscan
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I am a valve salesman that calls on chemcial plants on a daily basis. I sell equipment used in the handling of a variety of different medias such as acids and volatile gases. My customers are experts at the safe handling and manufacture of these dangerous products, 24 hrs a day 7 days a week. Protective headgear, goggles, faceshields, respirators, gloves, and chemical suits are a part of daily life in these facilities. I have seen the aftermath of chemcial accidents, and was glad I wasn't around when the event happened. So what am I saying?

Forget the Sulphuric Acid and go out and buy yourself a deck of cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Where to find Conc.Sulphuric Acid in our daily life ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL