The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recap Revisited (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Gerben
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
36 Posts

Profile of Gerben
A good magic friend of mine says that you should put the cap behind your ear, like the pen, instead of in your ear.
His reason for this is that, even though you can clean your ear two times a day, a spectator won't know this, and might think it's gross.

Do you guys agree?
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1293 Posts

Profile of GlenD
What's wrong with gross?
Unless you're pulling out a large eraser sized clump of shiny, somewhat luminescent light brown colored ear wax I don't see any problem.
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Nothing too gross here guys...

After producing the cap from INSIDE my ear, with the cap in finger palm I take my index finder and brush it on the specs shoulder- "let me wipe off the ear wax...." Then I give them the pen (with my name and phone number imprinted on the pen.

I've done it hundreds of times, and they always accept the free pen. Clean ears and good humor keep it from being too gross.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
pasteboardforbrains
View Profile
Regular user
Cincinnati, Ohio
113 Posts

Profile of pasteboardforbrains
I'm interested in geting this, in which of the videos/dvds/books do you reccomend for learning this trick?
Parker Caldwell

sigh... nothing to quote
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
On the Spot or Off the Cuff both do a good job. If you have the cash, get On the Spot, it has some more powerful routines in it.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
If you are going to use an extra cap put the cap in your sock or something like that and you could have the spectator pull it out. You'll have so much misdirection you could do what ever you want then.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Paste board, I highly recommend On the Spot. It is full of great routines and to watch Gregory Wilson in real life situations is funny and educational. A couple of times in the video he starts to get busted but he is very quick witted, uses fantastic skills and ends up shredding the very person who thought they had him. Recap is worth the price alone, those pens are everywere! All around vanish is a snap for me, my striking vanish is not as good as his...yet.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
bizarrewreck
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, CO
51 Posts

Profile of bizarrewreck
My hardest critic is my wife, so when I performed pen cap revisted on her and got some stunned deer eyes, I knew it was awesome! Plus, it's fun to practice. I love grabbing a pen and going through the routine over and over again.
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
Chad Long has some bits of business with a pen and a duplicate. I think they're described in his lecture notes.
Cheers,
David
Dave Schutt
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Dave Schutt
First I'd like to say that the "On the Spot" video is my new favorite. It's given me a lot of useable routines and has allowed me the freedom to not walk out of the house loaded up like an Atlas moving van and still be able to entertain people at a moments notice. I also think its refreshing from an audience stand point because of all the "revelation" Fox specials people are more suspicious. I can just say from experience, when I've approached a table and used sugar packets, napkins, salt shakers, and do an effect, I've gotten just as strong reactions as some of my stronger effects like the Invisible Deck but without the "out" that it was a trick deck, etc.

Anyway, a couple thoughts on recap revisted. Even though in his explanation Gregory Wilson says he doesn't move the hand holding the cap, in the performance you can see he does lift both hands a bit but not as drastically as say Ammar does on his cups and balls routine. It's more of a well timed drop of the left hand that momentarily suspends the cap in the air.

I've used a second cap that I've slipped into a specators pocket before the routine so after the strike vanish I say to the loaded specator sounding a little annoyed, "Hey I know the hand is quicker than the eye but can you give me my cap back?" He looks puzzled, "I saw you slip it into your pocket right there!" Pointing to the pocket. This gets a good reaction, and avoids the DREADED All Around Vanish...which personally I haven't really had a problem with, except in the beginning when I was nervous. Lastly, as a comedy effect I've palmed a gob of waz and stuck the cap on it when taking it out of my ear as demonstrated in the Sylvester Pitch Video.
Smile
Dave Schutt
Charlotte, NC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Recap Revisited (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL