The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Destination Box VS. Kennedy's Mystery Box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
Although it looks as if you can achieve the same effect here, any opinions as to the pro's and cons to these?

I have the Mystery Box and love it, but would like to know what the advantages are of the Destination Box. Thanks Peeps!
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
As the creator of the Destination Box, I am maybe the best, or worst, person to offer an opinion. Here are what I believe are advantages of The Destination Box:

#It is a padlocked box which means that you can hand it to someone to look after and they cannot open it. If it is left on the table, you do not have to worry that someone will take a look inside. Those who work know this will happen!

#Any type of card or back design can be used at any time.

#The card is removed by the person who signed it. You do not touch it.

#There is no switching of the card.

#As there is no move to do with the card, you can let the image of the card inside the inner box sink in. This allows you topause and build up the climax with the card still in the box.

#The Destination Box can be personalised to your own style or to a particular event.

#The box is larger than the Mystery Box and plays as a feature item for stage or close-up.

#Have 2 cards appear inside the box. I once had a double birthday and had both cards end up inside.

#The Destination Box is not limited to cards. The instructional video contains ideas and routines for bill to box, headline prediction, general predictions, ring to box, Mike Close's Big Surprise, Charity prediction and more. All with one box.

#I also use the box as a finale to a watch steal where the watch appears inside the box after the Card to Box effect.

#It is also 100% examinable but only one person in several thousand people has ever asked to look at it.

Last week, I sent Steve a box to review so hopefully this will be up in the near future.

All relevant information along with quotes from people like Dean Dill, Tommy Wonder and Dominique Duvivier can be found at:

http://www.close-upmagician.com/destinationbox
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Jon: Your box is not a "direct load" box, correct? (Like a Lippencott) There is a switch, just not of the card?
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I know many people consider the small size of the mystery box to be one of its selling points, because it makes it "pocketable" for strolling type situtations. It still might be a little too bulky for me to use it as such.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Doug, it is not a direct load a la Lippencot. Let's just say I changed the moment so there is no heat on you at all.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
I can safely say with my hand on my heart that TDB is by far the best method for Card to Box/ring to Box/Headline Prediction.... and the list goes on. How many of these effects can you perform with the KB? I think only one, don't you?

I used to own a Kennedy Box but sold it imediately when I purchased The Destination Box. This, in my opinion, is the best money I have spent and believe me, I have spent a lot over the years.

I have used this ever since I got my hands on this and it is certainly an attention grabber. It is now the strongest piece of magic I do. You will literally see people's jaws drops!

I can only say that if any of you guys do not own this you will be missing a very important addition to your arsenal of magic effects.

Ok, it is quite expensive but believe you me, when you receive the box you will be delighted as I was when I opened up the packaging. It is superbly made and looks very very very professional.

Buy one now. You will not be disappointed.

Do yourself a favour and get one now!
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
This is one of those items I just know I will have...someday.
I am just being creative now as to how to explain this to my wife, who has seen a few too many little boxes lately.

Any creative support here, Jon?
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I like them both. I love Jon's magic and think his box is great. I personally use the Mystery box for several reasons. Most importantly, it's easier for me to carry in my suit pocket for walk around situations. I put a rubber band around mine to hold the lid on and this works great because I can give it to a spectator to hold before the trick starts. Price is not a factor for me, but Kennedy's box is definaitely cheaper. The big difference is obviously in the switching aspect of the boxes. Just depends on your style and level of comfort I guess. Both are good investments.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2003-02-26 15:34, Dan LeFay wrote:
This is one of those items I just know I will have...someday.
I am just being creative now as to how to explain this to my wife, who has seen a few too many little boxes lately.

Any creative support here, Jon?

Sell all the other boxes and buy her a luxury holiday. While she's away, buy the Destination Box and learn how to present the routines. Do the routines at paid gigs in order to get re-booked. The extra money you'll earn from all the re-bookings will pay for more holidays you can take together. She'll love you even more and won't care what you buy next!

As for the size of the box, I carry this with me on walkaround gigs and reception work. On approaching a group, I hand the box to someone to hold. Sometimes they place it on the floor or a nearby table but most times they hold it. I then do my set and finish it with the box. As I walk to my next group, I reset the box and repeat the process. The fact that you have to hold it instead of putting it in your pocket is no big deal.

One of the big advantages is the padlock. Even putting a rubber band around the KMB would not stop some people opening the box. You'll always have in the back of your mind a worry that someone will want to open it to look inside. With the Destination Box being locked, you have no worry at all.

I know of a couple people who have sold their KMB. The Destination Box might not be to everyone's perfroming taste, price or whatever. All I know is that I know of no other way of opening and closing my set. Anything else I do would weaken it.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
For those who are still curious, I will be writing an official review of Jon's Destination Box in the 'Catch of the Day' forum in the very near future. Stand by...
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Jon's points are well taken. I have seen the box in action and can attest to its effectiveness and quality. I do have to disagree about the rubber band however. As with all magic, it boils down to audience management. I've been using the KMB for about 7 years, hundreds of times per year and have never had anyone attempt to remove the rubber band or look in the box. I double the band over several times so it's pretty tight. Plus I don't make a big deal about the box. I toss it to them and tell them to hold it for me until the end. They see that I don't care about it and thus, they don't care about it.

At the end, I hold the bottom of the box and ask them to remove the rubber band and then to remove the lid. Their actions and involvement take all the heat off the box.
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I have Kennedy's Box and for now I will stick with it.Practice the dump enough and you will never get caught.I think the simpler the effect is the better. Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
I did two black tie balls this weekend. I did KMB at least 50 times. Never got caught. People were consistently blown away. The screams were worth the price of the box.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2003-03-03 05:35, Rcitgo wrote:
I have Kennedy's Box and for now I will stick with it.Practice the dump enough and you will never get caught.I think the simpler the effect is the better. Smile

I couldn't agree more that the simpler you can make an effect, the better it is for your audience.

Both my box and the KMB acheive the same result - getting the signed card into a box, but they are different in many ways, as I explained previously.

If someone gets great reactions to an effect, whatever it may be, then they have every reason to want to stick to it. I am not saying that everyone should stop doing the KMB and do mine instead (although that would be ice Smile ) and the Destination Box is not for everybody either.

To be honest, I see both as totally different, while acheiving the same effect. The Destination Box is much more than just a Card to Box.

Everyone has their own thoughts on hat tricks suit them or they decide to use. For me, the Destination Box gives me exactly what I require from Card to Box.

I'll be interested to see what Steve says about it!
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
I Have KMB...but have been using a paperclipped card or card in metal clip (I came up with this so it ends empty and clean...well it LOOKS like it anyway!)...but am thinking about using the Mystery Box again after reading the posts and remembering how well it worked!!

One thing I always did (do) so that things stay "set" in there is to carry a couple rubber bands along with the folded card in it. I do rubber band stuff anyway and it looks natural to have a couple extra bands to dump out along with the folded card!

The box can be handeled anyway you want this way!
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
FTAMagician, I'm sure you're using Jay Sankey's Paperclipped if I'm not wrong?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Destination Box VS. Kennedy's Mystery Box? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL