The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » First public show for a beginner like me (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I have been seriously practicing magic for almost a year inspired by a buddy in NY state.I started by reading a article this person had in Genii magazine,and reading books.
We all have our favorite types of magic to learn wich I enjoy coin,rope,and magic with everyday objects.While at home I would practice coin moves in front of the mirror.get out some old rope,and other things to practice with while looking at the first magic book I found "Mark wilson`s complete course in magic".I learned some neat rope tricks,tricks with silks,and table ware ect.
The first presentations were with freinds,and people at the local street fairs,4H farm shows,steam/gas tractor/engine shows,and public swimming ponds using a street style magic.
My buddy from NY showed me this neat site I`m on now(Great site Steve Brooks happy to be on here).I ran into some local magicians in here that asked if I`d join them at the IBM meetings they have at Dick Stoners store. So I went to several meetings talked to some nice people that are veterns in magic & some others new to it like me.I joined our local ring last october.
I did a routine June 30,2007 diring a picknick for some freinds all went well only 2 tricks bombed(malfunctioned)LOL. The routine lasted about 20 minutes they all liked it.
I contiuned going to the meetings where we shared ideas,and many other things.one local magician organized a couple of shows at a local small theater named the "firehouse theater" on december 8,2007 5 0f us put on a show the MC was Terry a great gospel magician with the best outgoing personality I `v ever seen ain a local group. before the show we all set up our routine stands,and bags placed them so we can go up on stage to perform,when we had to switch performers Terry entertained them while we set up.All went smoothly only one performer had a gaff that malfunctioned. the owner of the theater made a video of the show for us to purchace, she told me my performance "was earthly" she & others were suprised I did so well for a beginner.
This is a story of what is going on in my magical hobby beginning here in N-E Indiana
I want to thank all of my IBM fellow members here ,and people I talked to on this Magic Café for ths support. working together as a team you`ll get a lot acomplished
especially making a great social interacting fun.
theres a lot to learn out there,many interesting subjects,and hobbies to enjoy
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
You story sounds a lot like mine. I have always had an interest in magic but it was just and on again off again fancy untill a few years ago when I took a friend to the Mall to get her glasses fixed. I walked into Hershey Magic to pass the time. Keith & Tom demoed me a few tricks and BAM I was hooked. This past fall I took to doing some Street Performing / Busking at a local Farmers Market with my wife doing Balloon Animals. Had a blast and still going strong - though the weather her is now too cold to busk I am looking forward to next spring.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Nice to hear that John. The buddy that inspired me his name is Jonathan also .Theres lots to learn from books,videos,and hanging out with other fellow magicians. I did my 3rd show today for a freind & 2 other familys during a Christmas party.This one was great I added more patter to the effects plus had more interactive tricks to my routine. All had a great time
Keep up the fun work all out there
Chuck Smile
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Good news the firehouse theater wants me back for more magic shows, this is a start
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Listen, the key to becoming a great showman is putting on shows, over and over and over and over.

My first show was such a disaster. I messed up almost every trick and then afterwards got a spanking for cutting a hole in the ceiling.
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
I know about being nervious Mr ribrooks , Doing magic shows for your freinds at partys is a comfortable way of starting out.
I know about over & over my 3rd show I had my best patter to go with the tricks,some patter I heard from others ,and most I added to what I was seeing in front of me by adding a little comical patter to the trick.

I have gotten used to talk to small groups while telling the history of my antique stationary gas engine,and oilfeild rod line power models since 1985 when I joined the antique machinery association to display.

I do mess up sometimes on my street style tricks especially when I`m doing some difficult coin holds like the back palm in my pulse trick routine.LOL
I did feel comfortable at the firehouse theater that night ,and had my fellow IBM freinds there for support the group is small and all are freindly in our little town of fort wayne.
Tanis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Tanis
Just enjoy performing and the audience will apreciate it, it really shines through
Tanis
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2007-12-17 15:34, enginemagic wrote:
I have been seriously practicing magic for almost a year inspired by a buddy in NY state.I started by reading a article this person had in Genii magazine,and reading books.
We all have our favorite types of magic to learn wich I enjoy coin,rope,and magic with everyday objects.While at home I would practice coin moves in front of the mirror.get out some old rope,and other things to practice with while looking at the first magic book I found "Mark wilson`s complete course in magic".I learned some neat rope tricks,tricks with silks,and table ware ect.
The first presentations were with freinds,and people at the local street fairs,4H farm shows,steam/gas tractor/engine shows,and public swimming ponds using a street style magic.
My buddy from NY showed me this neat site I`m on now(Great site Steve Brooks happy to be on here).I ran into some local magicians in here that asked if I`d join them at the IBM meetings they have at Dick Stoners store. So I went to several meetings talked to some nice people that are veterns in magic & some others new to it like me.I joined our local ring last october.
I did a routine June 30,2007 diring a picknick for some freinds all went well only 2 tricks bombed(malfunctioned)LOL. The routine lasted about 20 minutes they all liked it.
I contiuned going to the meetings where we shared ideas,and many other things.one local magician organized a couple of shows at a local small theater named the "firehouse theater" on december 8,2007 5 0f us put on a show the MC was Terry a great gospel magician with the best outgoing personality I `v ever seen ain a local group. before the show we all set up our routine stands,and bags placed them so we can go up on stage to perform,when we had to switch performers Terry entertained them while we set up.All went smoothly only one performer had a gaff that malfunctioned. the owner of the theater made a video of the show for us to purchace, she told me my performance "was earthly" she & others were suprised I did so well for a beginner.
This is a story of what is going on in my magical hobby beginning here in N-E Indiana
I want to thank all of my IBM fellow members here ,and people I talked to on this Magic Café for ths support. working together as a team you`ll get a lot acomplished
especially making a great social interacting fun.

Great story-well done thanks for sharing!!!!
enginemagic
View Profile
Special user
Bluffton Indiana
597 Posts

Profile of enginemagic
Thank you Brent McLeod. nice to have someone apreciate a good happy story on here with a positive theme. It has been fun learning & sharing a new hobby here.
I do enjoy hanging out with the local IBM this month working on some new & improvments on several new tricks here.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » First public show for a beginner like me (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL