The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio candle staying lit (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
This thread is exactly what I needed. Thank you everyone.

I just got my first vanishing candle, and have been practicing and showing a few people...I can't believe how astonished people are! It's really such a beautiful and magical effect.

Imagine my dismay when I dropped it this morning, and lost the wick! I'll be heading to Michaels this evening. : )

My 2 cents...I went into my local pharmacy and asked for a couple of pill bottles. I found one that is a perfect fit for the candle. Not sure if this is better or worse than just covering the tip, but thought I'd share my discovery anyway.

Thanks again everyone.

-Daniel
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
DanielCoyne - Great! Glad everyone's input has helped! This is why we're here! Smile

mikeybionic - I haven't tried the candle experiment; however, I would think the wax would tend to cause difficulties with the operation of the vanishing candle.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
While I have never tried this myself, a friend of mine who used to do a lot of fire magic in his act used to take the cotton of a woman's tampon to replace the cotton in anything that used ligher fluid. He claims it holds longer and burns brighter.
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
DeemoKevin
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of DeemoKevin
You might want to try replacing the wick with a real wick. They sell them at "Michaels" and "Joann's fabrics". Good luck, hope it works!
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Actually, the wick idea's a pretty good one!
erp1968
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of erp1968
Regarding having the Fantasio candle lit for long. They are not meant to last long. The plastic will start to melt and eventually the socket will be loose and the metal will fall through. I have two with a bigger hole now. That is why the short appearing candles and multiplying candles are made out of metal.

When I do my routine with multiplying candles, after a minute, when I touch the upper side, the metal is very, very hot.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I use wire nuts over the candle tip to
keep the wick wet
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
Another nice one, Ian! Thanks!
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
I wanted to add this cause I seen noone had mentioned this... after having the same problem here with the candles I did some thinking,, and well this is what I came up with,, what makes a real candle burn so long...tada... wax... so all I do is carry some wax in a little metal container I found, wrapped it with cork and tape leaving the bottom open to melt it with a lighter then I dip my candle ends in before each show and they burn for as long as I need them too.
So feel free to give it a try.

Your Welcome.
Rick Anderson

Oh and DREW,, advantage to that is... the string will work as a wick also????????
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
c4rlito
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of c4rlito
Is lighter fluid or paraffin better for candles?
Best Regards,
Matthew McGurk
British Magical Champion
https://www.matthewmcgurk.com
https://www.mymagiccourse.com/
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Intereesting info here

first I would add they used to sell candle caps however although no magic company is selling them you can get them from here
http://www.stockcap.com/prod_detail.asp?id=104&cat=12

its the black one in the picture.

I have used them for years now.

as for burning longer -- WHY? they are not meant to burn longer then a few moments! you can destroy your candle by burning it longer.
and if you want to have a candle to burn longer then just produce a REAL candle and light it.

I use ronsonal fuel and it has never failed me.

hope that helps
sam

ps put the fluid in the candles and then store them at your show upside down and then set them a few minutes before the show this allows all the fuel to drain to the top of the candle.
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Sam,
I've been using the stock caps too. But some of the ones I bought were too small. What size caps works best for you?

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
When I have been out of wick, I use the cotton from the inside of rope. Pull some strands. Stuff the
chamber with cotton, and use a double piece in the tip.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To help the evaporation problem, fold the wick in half, being the neck of the Fantasio Candle has a larger opening then the wick, this causes the fuel to evaporate more quickly. Fantasio does not say this directly, but his photos shows this method for replacing the wick.

Check out his "Helpful Tips" section on his web site.
http://www.fantasio.com/home.html
mentalist.kin
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of mentalist.kin
Well I use Dan Harlans Idea, I removed the basic container and glued the plastic to the real white candle top.
So it stays lighten and looks like a real thing!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2012-08-25 19:20, mentalist.kin wrote:
Well I use Dan Harlans Idea, I removed the basic container and glued the plastic to the real white candle top.
So it stays lighten and looks like a real thing!

Well, now that opens a whole new set of accidents that can happen. Hot wax can burn you, if working over a rug can upset the owner because you are spilling wax on her carpet.

I once did a show in a home, and when I lit the Fantssio Candle, and tilted it, the lady of the house screamed out, don't drip wax on my carpet. So I straightened out the candle and you know the rest. I thought it was funny, but you know the purpose of lighting the candle is to prove it is real, and from only a few feet away, she really thought it was very real.

Nothing like setting this trick back 50 years, that is how the old paper vanishing candle worked, with a birthday candle stuck in the top. I believe I seen an India model has also gone back to the candle idea as well.

In the end if it works, then use it!
tsolo
View Profile
New user
NYC
61 Posts

Profile of tsolo
I've been experimenting with keeping the candle lit, and have an answer. Pull the cotton out of the candle. Cut a couple inches of craft store candle wick and insert it so there's just a teeny bit sticking out the top. Replace the cotton, squishing the wick underneath it. Add Ronsonol. The candle will burn for a while, with a flame small enough that it will not damage the plastic.
RIP Fantasio.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have found Ronson not to be the best solution. Zippo has more oil in it and burns better. The down side is it produces more smoke while burning.

I set out to solve the problem and found it, Firefly Simply Pure Lamp Oil. This is smokeless and odorless, so it will not set off smoke alarms.

Get it at www.fireflyfuel.com

It takes a flame to light it, it does not work like lighter fluid.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fantasio candle staying lit (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL