The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Making tips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-07-23 17:03, Owen Thomas wrote:
Ok well I guess it cant be as good as circle perfomers, but still an option for someone just starting out

Must have the interest and desire.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
What is your motivation for going out on the street?
To make money?
or
To gain experience?
If it is experience you seek then the streets are a good place to get it.
No book, dvd, or advice will teach you the things you will learn out there.
(like how you carry yourself, your performance style, how you handle tough cookies, things that are unique to each of us)
You can't put a price on the experience you will gain.
No amount of at home practice can teach you how to deal with the unexpected situations that arise when performing for total strangers.
If it is money you seek then these experiences will teach you ways to get that money. In particular, your confidence level will eventually rise high enough that you won't feel weird about delivering hat lines.
So, in my humble opinion, there's nothing to do but get out there and start blowing minds. You might even find (as I did) that you are better suited to the street than the stage. But, there's only one way to find out.
Also, to answer your first question, I found getting tips is not hard at all if you have a tip jar in plain sight. Just have a solid 5-10 minute routine and you'll find most people will put some money in. Stay loose and have fun.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Hey man,

When Kozmo's DVD drops this Fall. BUY IT! That man has got busking down to a science.

Until this, check out the Cellini, Art of Street Performing DVD series. Koz produced them & sells them on his site: http://www.kozmomagic.com/

If you're really interested in becoming a street performer then prepare to spend as much time thinking about the non-magic parts of your show as you do your sleights. You routining, patter, hat lines and blocking all need to be given some thought.

Save yourself a little frustration & buy some reference material Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Owen I like you for some reason. You are confusing "Street Magic", which is the name of a TV special with David Blaine and the art of street magic. The guys who make a living doing street magic are not doing it ala Blaine. The ones claiming to be making a living ala Blaine are not what you call street magicians, they are what you call a liar. You can make money doing close up but in the right environment though.
David Smith
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of David Smith
I have been performing street magic in Liverpool, England for the past 6 months. You can make a reasonable, if not large amount of money in a couple of hours in the afternoon.(around £30, or $60 or so). Approaching the "right" people is crucial and is learned by experience. As a basic example, anyone who looks overtly aggressive, or is clearly busy or in conversation would not be appropriate to approach. I find from my experience that you need to make such a strong impression with your first effect that they want to see more. Then give them just a little more. Only then do I slide a baseball cap out of my bag and explain that what I am doing is free, but contributions for new cards would be appreciated but not compulsory. 99% of people will give some money. I now find that I am often unable to go shopping in the city without people approaching ME and asking if I am the magician, can I show them some magic etc.
Owen Lean
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Owen Lean
Quote:
On 2008-07-23 15:01, Dave V wrote:
Some perhaps, but not a lot. Check out Owen Lean a.k.a. Road Mage. He published an ebook a few years ago on working walkaround for small groups of 2-3 people. His thinking was that he could do 10 shows for a few dollars about as quickly as circle show workers do just one show.

http://www.roadmage.com

He's since changed his mind, and he does circle shows himself now.

Thanks Dave,

I did indeed start off this way and for a year I made my entire income out of Hit & Run style street magic - before moving on to a bigger show.

Owen - there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and performing Hit & Run style magic on the streets or 'blaine' style as some call it. It is a briliant way to get experience, and with the right attitude and style you will find you make a reasonably decent amount as well. You will also find you create some of the most intense magic moments of your life this way. You will probably fin, like me that you are drawn to bigger things after a while, but I would heartily recommend to ANYONE considering doing this style of magic to go out there and do it - just make sure the way you perform it is done in a professional and non-harassing way - nobody wants to be half-accosted on the street and have a pack of card thrust in their face, but try doing something entrancing and visual for no audience as you walk down the street, and see how often you get someone <i>approaching you</i> - that above all is the key to sucessful hit and run magic, to be someone they choose to see, not someone who forces their magic into peoples lives.

Owen
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Been a while since anyone looked at this post but... I was at the Daytona Convention and saw Chris Capehart there. He started out as a Street Magician and became very good at it. He has some lecture notes just for doing street magic that you may want to see if you can get. It is full of information on working the crowd and ways of getting money out of their pockets and into your box.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
Check out my book on my website. It answers all the questions you're asking + more. I only do close-up on the street. I don't play to huge crowds and I use the "Trickle" rather than pass the hat. Check it out http://blackbeltmagician.com Let me know what ou think.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
MarvinWang
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of MarvinWang
Street Magic = Free Magic
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2010-02-03 22:41, MarvinWang wrote:
Street Magic = Free Magic

Not if you know what your doing it's not. Smile

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
You ca make an excellent living performing close-up magic. But get off the streets or become a busker (nothing wrong with that!).

This whole street thing is a TOTAL miss-understanding! The street concept was designed as a vehicle to imply an impromptu audience for TV. That's it. The sooner the current generation comes to understand this the better.

Your hero's (Blaine, Angel, whoever) DO NOT make a living performing on the streets. They simply shoot vids there to IMPLY an impromptu audience.

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I think we've already beaten this horse to death Ben.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
I'm always up for a good beating! LOL

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Making tips (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL