The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » I.B.M. Membership (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
I'm in the process of joining the I.B.M. (Ring 6). I see on the application that two endorsements are required. I assume I can get these by meeting with members of my local ring?

I'd really like to become a member within a couple of weeks since I will be in L.A. the last week in April and would love to visit the Magic Castle. The next Ring 6 meeting is April 14, which means getting the endorsements and membership finalized by my trip may be tricky.

Any advice on how I could make this work quickly?

Thanks,
Steve
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi Steve,

If you are a member of your local Ring, then members there should be able to endorse you. Getting it processed on approved by the National Office could take longer.

When one submits an application for membership, the names are printed in the Linking Ring magazine before final approval. This gives other members an opportunity to object to a new member, although this rarely happens.

Meet with your local club, try to get the needed endorsements and get your application in to the national office. They might be able to give you a temporary membership card that you can use in the meantime to get into the Magic Castle.

Good luck. Mark.
The Great Stevini
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of The Great Stevini
Thanks, Mark. I will definitely go to the next local meeting and meet some members. I look forward to it.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I know that the rules are different for each ring, but the rules for my local club stated that I actually had to be a member of the national organization before being allowed to join the local group.

Luckily, a couple of the members endorsed me so I could join nationally. Then I did my 10 minute act and became a member of the local group. I felt very proud of myself for having achieved such a milestone in my life.

Between my SAM and IBM clubs, I have to admit to feeling a greater sense of comeraderie with the people at the local IBM club. They seem to go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Which is how it should be.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Eephus,
There's no way you'll be a "card carrying member" of IBM before your trip. It simply doesn't work that way. It's usually a 2-3 month process at best.

However, all you have to do is ask another Magic Castle member and they can give you a guest pass. It can even be emailed to you. All you have to do is ask. You'll be responsible for the door charge, and for buying dinner but you'll be there and that's the most important part. If you can't find a MC member, you're not looking hard enough. They're all around you. Some are right here.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » I.B.M. Membership (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL