The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2022, Kanawati wrote:
I saw a clip of Hal demonstrating just one of his techniques for showing both hands empty at different times while the TT remains completely hidden. Pure poetry. It was such a beautiful move! And I realize, as many have said, that a lot of magic can be done without the TT being shown at all.

I also get where davidpaul and Jim are coming from. I hold the same view as them. In fact I've painted my TT and related gimmicks to more closely match my skin tone. Here are two of my own examples using a TT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaOcEsldnkA No need to sit through the whole clip! I flash the TT at time stamp 2.25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9hjTXefNw This one's a bill switch. I flash the TT at 0.07. But our Australian notes have see-through sections and a flesh colored TT allows me to show it behind the clear portion of the note and also allows what I hope is a more clean display of both hands being otherwise empty.

Thank you Kanawati. Love the two videos. Well done. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed them.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
From reading this informative thread it seems that modern tips (in general) allow for different handlings of the tip. Is the DeCova DVD the best resource for these modern handlings? Are there more current DVDs? I currently have WGM Thumb Tip and Patrick Page DVD. There I can see classic (Load from closed hand - Page), Load from behind (Osterlind), Swivel load (De Cova). Also, while I understand the load is a factor, are there guidelines on the correct sizing - How deep should your thumb go?, Pros and cons of soft v hard? I know Many will correctly advise "try and use what suits you best" - I am hoping collective wisdom will guide my starting point. Forgive my beginner questions.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2022, cuchullain wrote:
From reading this informative thread it seems that modern tips (in general) allow for different handlings of the tip. Is the DeCova DVD the best resource for these modern handlings? Are there more current DVDs? I currently have WGM Thumb Tip and Patrick Page DVD. There I can see classic (Load from closed hand - Page), Load from behind (Osterlind), Swivel load (De Cova). Also, while I understand the load is a factor, are there guidelines on the correct sizing - How deep should your thumb go?, Pros and cons of soft v hard? I know Many will correctly advise "try and use what suits you best" - I am hoping collective wisdom will guide my starting point. Forgive my beginner questions.

https://halsaxonmagic.com/
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Thanks Wravyn - Spoiled for Choice!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
There are a ton of great references for thumb tip magic. One that I keep coming back to is the Jay Scott Berry Penguin Live lecture. Berry's movements are graceful, elegant, and deceptive. He shows how magicians should use and maintain their inherent advantages in performance. The level of detail and thought he puts into his magic is enlightening. He goes over a lot in that lecture just in terms of the thumb tip but there is so much more. One of the best Penguin lectures out there that you should be looking for an excuse to buy...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
[quote]On Mar 14, 2022, Wravyn wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2022, cuchullain wrote:

Kalix is absolutely correct. JSB has a really good Penguin Live Lecture. He has a live online event later this month I believe.

I also like De Cova very much and Page very very much. Also check out Salvano, I am not sure it is still available, but very good with silks.

The tip itself should not be past the large knuckle on the thumb. It should be very easy to remove but snug. A hard or medium Vernet if fit properly shouldn't be too tight and seal well enough for liquids if you use them in your effects.

As far as sizing, The classic Vernet opening diameter and the king size diameter are the same. For whatever reason, the soft medium Vernet opening is the same as the classic and king size, but the hard medium Vernet opening is a bit smaller and too tight, and I have to stretch them.

The King size and medium are a bit longer than the classic, so a larger load. I use the king size a lot. Hard is preferable to me. Soft seems to have a bit of tack or stick to it.

Think about two things in sizing, the diameter of the opening around your thumb knuckle should be snug but not too tight. I use the index and ring finger to quickly pull off a tip and palm it. Also, the length is somewhat a factor when palming. Classic is too short for me and king just right. You may consider getting the Vernet fingertip set, it has 7 different sizes to experiment with. I also have been known to cut down a tip or nest them when the need arises.

I have an eBook on the website that describes the 22 handling positions. With two hands that is 44 places the tip can reside.

Also, thank you very much for the recommendation Wravyn.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
cuchullain
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
94 Posts

Profile of cuchullain
Thank you for all responses
Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2022, cuchullain wrote:
Thank you for all responses

You're quite welcome cuchullain. JSB has some live Zoom events this month. Check out DevilleMagic.net
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Best realistic thumb tip (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL