The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Effects with Mystic Smoke (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alex cahill
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of alex cahill
Has anyone got a product called mystic smoke? I hate the stuff and I think the best place for it is in the bin. What are your opinions?
Night_Crawler
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Night_Crawler
I'd have to agree. I don't like it because it smells and your fingers stay smelly even after you wash your hands, and it's so sticky.

Night_Crawler
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
This junk used to be included with every magic set, and when I was little I couldn't understand how the heck it was supposed to work... I thought if you put some on your fingers, some sort of chemical reaction or something would occur and make real smoke...
Smile what a dope!
JN
Smile
Keith Larocque
View Profile
New user
Ontario
47 Posts

Profile of Keith Larocque
Yeah, and the smell of it too. ha hah.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
I remember that stuff - reminds me of super-elastic-bubble-plastic, y'know, magical gunk in a tube. But I remember figuring it out accidentally, and it sorta looked like a very litle stream of smoke. Or something. And it was hard to wash off. I doubt it would fool anyone, though. I was more impressed with Grant's Candle-Lite, which is now put out by Vernet under a different name (Effect: carrying the flame from a candle away with your fingertips - I have one of the old ones and finally used it after having it for years - it's much cooler).
Dragona
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of Dragona
What exactly is this stuff your talking about?
I have the breath of dragons and the soul of a human.
trainerjep
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of trainerjep
It's plain messy!!! Smile
It's not the size of the wand,
but the magic in it !
melwind
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
16 Posts

Profile of melwind
Well sad but I just bought it....now only have I read this thread.... ARGH.....

anyway make the best of it.....i still can't seem to get it work... I rub until my fingers turn red still no smoke.... can anyone tell me how to use it...or even...how to rub it.... I am kinda streess now cause I tried so many times but not working!!! no smoke Smile can PM me or sumthing Smile thanks a heeps
:::[ do what you like as long as everyone enjoys it together ]:::
mysterious_guy
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of mysterious_guy
Definitely one to stay away from - Mine went straight in the bin! (After I'd washed my hands)
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
Melwind -- Rub it between your thumb and forefinger. Then move the two fingers apart as you gently wave your hand in the air. Sort of like you're trying to flick the sticky goo off your fingers. This will cause little strings of the stuff to float upward, looking like smoke.

It doesn't *actually* smoke, it just leaves little floaters in the air that look like smoke. (Um, provided your eyesite is really bad and you've never seen real smoke before, that is.)

As a special effect, Mystic Smoke (literally) stinks.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Aw, come on everyone, it isn't that bad...except for the smell. The secret is to just use an ever-so-small amount. Then, just give it one or two (at the most) puffs. You just want a little hint of "smoke" along with lots of subtle build-up. If anyone should happen to remember, from their childhood, how you do it, just play it up as age regression. (It's too bad...the stuff I used as a kid actually smelled pretty good. I think they must have changed the formula.)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I did this WAY before they came out with this stuff in a tube. Here's what ya do:

Take the strikers (unused ones are better) that you have cut off of 3 or 4 matchbooks, and burn them in an ashtray, and collect the brown residue (DANGER: POISON!), and rub it between your fingers...REAL smoke!

Nasty stuff, tho'...I avoid that these days. Remember the old trick of lighting a match under your chin, inhaling and breathing out a puff of smoke? I quit that, too, when I heard the various carcinogens involved.

Nope. No more smoke. I got burned once by flash cotton (finger striker), and I avoid that as well...

Be careful, guys...want ya around for a while! Smile

Doug
DmanO29
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of DmanO29
I agree with doug, when you are doing things with flames and flash cotton or cord or paper etc, you need to be careful. I knew a man who was killed because of flash items.

back to the smoke: making the smok is not in the rub, it is in the bringing of the finger apart creating strands of latex and other materials that float into the air causing 'smoke.'
Always remember, the best effects cost nothing. Practice is worth more than gold.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Effects with Mystic Smoke (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL