The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Good Marketing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I perform Street Magic at times. It is good marketing. I give out my business cards before I leave.

I also perform a few sponge and coins tricks when I'm in a long line at a post office, bank, etc. It makes time go faster.
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Have you picked up any gigs this way?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yes I have, but not every time. I always look at it in a positive way even if I got no shows from it. The reasons are below in no particular order:

#1. I get everyday practice.
#2. I'm getting publicity.
#3. Time goes faster.
#4. I enjoy watching the kids/adults smile.
#5. It's fun to do.

Those are the major reasons I never walk out of my house without a few pocket tricks.
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
I think that's a real magician speaking.

You might wanna check some good business card tricks, makes giving it to them more interesting.

Maybe SUC? At least Ian Rowland has been praising it.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I would say if you did street magic in the classic way it would attract a lot more business than walking up to people as a stranger. That isn't the "businessy" approach. I would say table-hopping gets more business.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Dustin_The_Magic_Kid
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Dustin_The_Magic_Kid
It's not all about business though. And this forum is all about the stranger magical individual walking up and performing. When people go to a street magic show they already know they're going to see magic.

The Spontaninty of street magic ala Blaine is fun and can be very formal. I usually book all my adult and childrens parties using this style.
It's like that? I guess it's like that! OH YEAH!!! YEAH!! - wait, what are we talking about?
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Well this topic is about business. So why shouldn't we focus on this? Street Magic just isn't great for marketing. And since when has Street Magic been formal? You are either walking up to people on a sidewalk or doing magic for them as they walk by on a sidewalk. I wouldn't think that to be "formal."

Try coming up with your own style while you are at it. I am was just reviewing your post and you mentioned that you do street magic like David Blaine. The world does not need another David Blaine. Try to be you.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
I have personally found the surprise walk up approach to be great. I have booked numerous shows through it not to mention that it has the best side benefit of all. PRACTICE. This style of magic allows you to practice those routines on an audience that is not paying you and will 99% of the time tell you to %#@$ off if they think you suck. Honestly how often have you really invested a lot of time with the person next to you on the subway or on the street. If you can interest and hook a total stranger than you should have no problem walking up to someone tableside and performing (see table hoppers forum).

This style gives you nothing but benefits and no losses. at the very worst you fail and you now know that you either:

1) need to improve your routines and your approach.

2) picked the wrong person and need to learn how to pick your audiences better.

Mat
da5id
View Profile
Loyal user
Dublin, Ireland
268 Posts

Profile of da5id
Well put.
StreetMagicMagician
View Profile
New user
California
10 Posts

Profile of StreetMagicMagician
I don't have any business cards... sounds like a good idea... maybe I could get hired for some gigs??? Who knows...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This is a new train of thought for me. The idea of actually getting bookings from street strolling. I had never thought of it in that light before. I had always considered it as you give perfect strangers the gift of wonder for a moment, then you part, probably to never cross paths again.

Now I see otherwise.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Good marketing has to be effective marketing. There is no substitute for good judgment. If the opportunity to entertain does not unfairly take from the rights of others it could be good marketing if it is also effective marketing. Otherwise, spreading fun to willing participants seems reasonable. Marketing or not.

Enjoy!

Bob
An Old MBA Marketing Professor
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
If you want to market, MARKET, and if you want to do street magic, DO STREET MAGIC. Streetmagicmagician, I don't have business cards either, and that hurts. Get them, I would but I'm on the bottom of the food chain. I heard other street magicians get a "ton" of work from cards. This may be what Im doing wrong (one thing I'm doing wrong), but in three years I have gotten one gig, one possible gig that didn't really happen and been used for a prank (call so-and-so, say such and such). I don't think street magic is an efficient marketing tool of itself. Coupled with some sort of press coverage, it could be worth while, but it isn't a good primary marketing technique. By all means, do street magic and for most of the reasons listed, and by all means have your cards available, but if you want to market, the standard marketing techniques are probably more efficient. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Winking at a pretty girl in the dark seldom gets a request for a repeat performance. I firmly believe that cards, etc. help prospects find you later.

Get a friend to print you some cards or labels on the computer. Try $10 worth and see what happens! Fancy is nice, but just plain contact data is better than ESP.

I agree with you that it makes sense to come from multiple angles getting your name out. One of the greatest commercial successes in the world is Coca-Cola. They don't look shy to me! They want you to see their name everywhere.

Good Luck!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Brady
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
235 Posts

Profile of Brady
Try Vistaprint.com for cards. You get 250 full color cards for paying the shipping charge of $5 plus change.

Regards,

Brady
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Good Marketing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL