The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Handmade Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Keichewer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Keichewer
Hey Everyone, I was actually fairly curious about making my own cups to learn cups and balls with (with it being the "right of passage" and all Smile ) I tried looking up some sites on helpful information but I couldn't find much (Of course, it's magic! Smile Smile ) on making my own set. Is there any advice anyone would like to give me? I know that I would like to make them out of wood, hahah, I'm not sure what kind, or the dimensions obviously. I just want a nicer set to practice with. Thank you guys!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
There are a few cups makers here on the Café'. I'm not sure they'd be willing to share techniques. It is an IMMENSE amount of work to make a set of cups. All I can say is good freakin' luck.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
From time to time, I have seen wooden flower pots of various sizes at Hobby Lobby (a craft store). Most have a hole in the bottom that would need to be plugged up. From there paint or finish them as you like.

I would recommend looking for a starter set of copper cups, you will like them better. There are lots of posts here discussing the options.

Thanks,
Bruce
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Use some emptied small ice cream cups. Paint 'em silver. That is all the great John Ramsay ever used. You can also use tea cups like Mike Skinner and Bruce Cervon did. It's not the cup it is what you do with it.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Go to this forum and you will see some good looking cups.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Keichewer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Keichewer
Quote:
On 2008-07-10 19:12, Pete Biro wrote:
...It's not the cup it is what you do with it.

Thank You so much, I think is the the perfect information right here. Smile Smile I was just wondering if I would need something special for penetrations and such. Hehehe. I guess that's more advanced and I can worry about it later, I'll perfect techniques and patter for now... Heheh.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Nope. You do the whole thing with three cups and the balls. The rest is learning to create the illusion.

Read up. Read down. Watch the DVD's. Practice.

The interesting thing about this is that we can tell you the whole truth about the cups and balls, but you won't believe it.

Get a good book on the cups and balls or a DVD such as Michael Ammar's two volume set.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Keichewer
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Keichewer
Hehehe. Is that what makes magic so great??? You'd never believe it. Hehe. Thank you. I was planning on getting those actually, hehe, I'll be ordering them within the next few weeks, along with some of Ammars other stuff.

On a side note. I have to stop doing the Hehehehe's and Hahahah's....
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
In the 70s I saw the wooden cups, very similart to RNT design, thin and perfect, and chopped, ALL of them and nesting perfectly. You know whose but not important. Since then I have done a fair amount of woodworking. They are next to impossible to make and I would not waste any of my time trying to make such magnificent stuff. Get some props now! and get on with your life.

P

If it can be a warning to others
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yep. Mikame did some wonderful things back then. Still does.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I finally got them, tho. Both with the single bead and the double bead. But I can stop any time that I want to! I just don't want to, see! I ain't got no problem!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Handmade Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL