The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Custom magic set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I am putting together a custom magic set to sell and I have a couple of questions.

First, what are some good, inexpensive tricks I can put in. I want to avoid really childish tricks and have stuff in that adults will want to do.

I was think of this:
Cups and balls
Jumping gems, not the two paddle trick, but the single paddle one.
Dice Atomizer
Color Block Escape
Flying Coins
I will include an instructional dvd with this set, and altogether with packaging will cost me just under 5 dollars each.

Does this seem like a good set? I plan to sell them for $20

If not, what are some good effects to offer that can keep the set under 5 bucks? I looked into the kipp toys sets, but the look kinda cheesey.

Also, as far as packaging goes, I am planning on using a cube shaped box, and calling it the Cube of Magic or something like that. I thought the shape of the box would make it look rather small. Would the flatter rectangular boxes make the set seem a little larger?

Another thing, I plan on first trying to sell at a local flea market and would also like to sell some practical jokes, what are some good selling pranks?
-Matt
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Matt,

If your going to sell the magic kits yourself call them Matts Magic kit. or Matthews Magic Kit. Etc.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
It is going to have my stage name on it.
-Matt
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Here is the artwork that will be on the box, I designed it myself.

http://img59.imageshack.us/my.php?image=seteq6.gif

Click here to view attached image.
-Matt
Fast Eddie P.
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
323 Posts

Profile of Fast Eddie P.
Great artwork Matt!
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of adam christopher
Matt, throw in a copy of the Royal Magic 101 tricks book for cheap $$$ then your box will have over 116 tricks or get an instant author kit and have your own book in there!
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
Where did you buy the tricks for the kit?

Trey
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Robbins.
-Matt
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Matt.

102 EZ2do magic tricks book. cost around 25 cents. then your up to learn

over 100 tricks!

or includes 117 tricks included!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I am going to teach tricks on the dvd along with teaching the props in the set.

It would bring the total to 25 or thirty tricks. I think the dvd would be a big selling point.

Do you know of any other individual tricks that would sell well?

I am thinking Svengali deck, nickels to dimes, hot rod, two card monte, oddball, and dream queen.
-Matt
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Wow for once I will agree with Daniel, that's what I was trying to say in my earlier post but totally bunged up....If you're doing the 2 card monte consider the custom designed one that one of the Dean's guys offers....Dean, a little help?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I looked into those before, they are too expensive for my needs. I can get a gross for about $15
-Matt
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
Thanks for the info Matthew. I joined D. Robbins. They have some pretty cool stuff on the cheap! Have you checked out U-Line for your boxes? There is another big box company but I forget the name. Are you going to heat shrink the boxes?

Trey
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I might not heat shrink them.

I am trying to find a place that has hang tabs to put on the boxes, but uline is expensive for them. Boxes are cheap but hang tabs are expensive.

Also, I am going to barter with the flea market for a booth. In exchange for the booth, I will do a show for them that they can advertise to bring people in.

The show costs me nothing, and will let people in that area know that I exist and am for hire. It works out for both of us, and the 25 I would have spent on the booth, I can spend on the packaging.

Matt
-Matt
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
The two Card Monte's I personally USE are at: http://www.Success.TwoCardMonte.com and they ROCK! (Forget how much money I have made with them, they are beautiful and FULLY customizable) You can SEE how I just used them on my free Video Blog: http://www.SuccessEminder.com

I was NEVER able to get $5.00 to $12.00 bucks EACH for the normal ones... whoo hoo!

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Deano (MAKES money, doesn’t 'spend' money on magic) in Reno
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
Quote:
On 2008-08-19 17:26, adam christopher wrote:
Wow for once I will agree with Daniel

Thanks AC. See I'm not all THAT bad.
adam christopher
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Daniel, I never said you were bad, we just have different politics regarding quadro-peds!

AC
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I'm really surprised that no one mentioned this, but Jon Jensen issued an entire course just on this subject. It is very, very good and if you're going to go this route, I'd seriously suggest you check out his product. I do believe Jack Turk sells it.

Gerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Custom magic set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL