The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Phone Book Tear (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I hang out with a small circle of guys in Vancouver, one of whom is a street magician who does an ungimmicked phone book tear. Hand him a phone book, and he tears it. He's not a Café member, so I'm posting this question on his behalf. If somebody wanted to learn all the work on the Phone Book tear effect (gimmicked and ungimmicked), what things should he research?

To be clear: I've got no personal interest in learning any secrets or performing this myself, so I'm not asking for people to share the specifics of methods or whatnot. I'm not secret-hunting. Any information posted here would be going straight to him.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
From what you said, he already knows how to do it. Google "strong man stunts."
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Doruk Ãœlgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ãœlgen
That's an old stunt which has been published in many books, I don't remember any name but if you search you will find for sure..
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There was a book called Strong Man Stunts. This is very easy to do. When I was in college, there wasn't a phone book within a 1/4 mile radius of the music department that I had not torn in half.

I won a lot of beer with that trick.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 08:13, Paddy wrote:
From what you said, he already knows how to do it. Google "strong man stunts."

He can do it with phone books up to a given size (1200 pages or so?), but not beyond. He's gotten admirably far by self-teaching (doesn't have to doctor the books, doesn't have to tear through the spine) but I wanted to see if there was more info out there so that he could really establish a reputation with this one, so that he can be the guy who tears any phone book in half.

Bill, is the book Ottley Coulter's "How to Perform Strong Man Stunts"?
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Bob Newhart did it once as the punchline on his show. It didn't look like it was faked, but what do I know?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 18:12, Tom Bartlett wrote:
http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competition/......ro-1.htm

Thanks, that's really interesting. I might even try to incorporate some of this into my show.
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
Charles MacMahon has a book on the subject as well. It's called Feats of Strength and Dexterity. A very good book. It has a lot of information in it that he could use to make a whole show out of strong man feats.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Tearing from the binder side is a lot easier than the page size.

Would you agree?

Just saw the later done by a group from the Extreme Team who came through KC.

They also did the water bottle blow up, brick breaking and twisting a ball bat in two...

now where is my can of spinach...

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
I've always found breaking a phone book at the binder side easier. Mainly because I can break it along my leg and have that momentum to continue the tear. I actually adapted my method after seeing the Extreme Team (or maybe the Power Team, I get them confused).
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
The binder side is much easier.

I haven't tried the top side yet.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The Phone Book Tear (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL