The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
We are currently working on a large levitation in the UK, does anyone know where we can purchase a couple of the silent lifting rams that are used in Illusions such as "Gamolo" etc.? Smile Any help will be greatey appreciated, especially if you are in the UK.
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
The Gamolo is not silent! What I have done, is a google search for lifts. Then with a little thinking, you may see something that will fit your needs.

I've seen a lift (aga) that can lift 2000 pounds!

You are looking for a telescopic lifting unit.

The pic (avator) of me floating was once a Gamolo, but I had it rebuilt. The only thing that I kept and use from the junk levitation called the Gamolo was the lifting unit.

Ray Noble
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
Cheers for that Ray, but I have spent hours searching the internet for this item, even bought some plans for Gamolo which is how I saw the "mini pac linear actuator" but I cannot find a supplier anywhere. These plans seem to come from Al's Magic Shop but they no longer seem to list this illusion. Maybe I will have to buy one and strip it down like you did. Nice avatar, by the way. Looks like an impressive illusion.
www.specialfxmagic.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I was once told that the Gamolo was first used in industry work. It was used to lift the lids up from large containers! Maybe that is the direction we need to go in our search for this type of unit.

I have also been looking for it. I want to make a few more levitations for friends. Once we find the unit, I will share my workings of my levitation with you

I will keep in touch.
Ray Noble
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
I will also let you know if I manage to find a lift anywhere.

Thanks.
Eddy
www.specialfxmagic.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Oooooohhhhhh!

I am very interested in this subject.

I've been trying to find things like "industrial lifting devices" via Google internet searches for the past couple of days, but all I seem to come up with are things that attach to vans and truck beds for lifting boxes into them . (Very bulky and very loud from what I've seen.)

So, it's a "mini pac linear actuator" that I should be looking for, eh ?

If anyone else knows where to find this type of lifting unit please tip it, ok?
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I was thinking of buying a set of plans for the Gamolo. I have heard both good and bad stories about it.

So from what you guys are saying I don’t think this is the way I will go.

I would be interested in joining you guys in the levitation bit. I will see what I can come up with.

Mike
magic 12376
View Profile
Regular user
Wilkes-Barre Pa
116 Posts

Profile of magic 12376
A company by the name Grainger sells all sorts of industrial supplies and electonics. I have noticed a couple of lifts in their catalog. Perhaps one of these will work or at least spark your imagination. In any event, good luck.

Ronald R. Romiski
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Depending on your staging, you might want to check out the 3 in 1:

https://www.lorenzoandlorraine.com/3in1.htm

or there is a company called "Genie Lifts" that has all kinds of lifts:
http://www.genielifts.com

By the way Eddy - I am not in the UK, but I am English!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
Cheers for that Lee, but I don't want to use a backdrop or backstage area.Also when I said "especially if you are in the UK" I meant if anyone knew of a UK supplier, as that way I could go and discuss my idea with them.
www.specialfxmagic.com
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I have a machinist friend who uses pnuematic pistons all the time in the devices he creates for major companies. How much travel (height) would we need? Let me know and I will talk to him about this.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
I have found a company in the UK who produce all sorts of weird & wonderful pushing & lifting devices, but it would only need to lift about 20-24 inches and take the weight of approx 140 lbs.
www.specialfxmagic.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Take a look at these this company which makes Lifting Actuators. Also doing a search with those two words pops up other companies.

Electromechanical Actuators
Dennis Michael
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I will talk to my friend about it over the next week and get back to you. Den recommends an electrical lift. I wonder what the pros and cons of an electrical vs. an air powered piston would be? Any thoughts anyone?
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I have an idea.....satelite dish movers consist of a 12 volt motor and screw...when I had an old dish the mover had about a 24-30" swing to it.

what do you think.....find one used???

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitation Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL