The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to move forward (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
So far I've learned from some of the classics, Royal Road, Expert Card Technique, Erdnase, Counts Cuts and Subtlety and Packet Tricks by Mentzer (rather than buying several), Amateur Magician's Handbook, Now You See It Now You Don't.

Many new moves and effects from the likes of Vernon and Marlo are there, and I only see minor offshoots of some, like a version of Triumph I found in one of the Self-Working books by Karl Fulves.

So here's the question: Are there some major works that will help me drag myself at least into the last half of the last century for the main flow thought, or am I going to have to collect a lot of shorter works by the different creators?
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
626 Posts

Profile of JordanB
Do the stuff you like. I started with Royal Road and ECT. If you are interested in card magic I can't recommend The Inner Card Trilogy by Vernon highly enough.

Many years ago a demonstrator at Magicland put me on to Vernon through the Inner Card Trilogy and it changed my magic forever. I had just worked through Royal Road, ECT, and reading Vernon was eye opening.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Stay away from any of my books. HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Sorry Mr. Lorayne, but your advice is awful concerning staying away from your books! Smile

Dean,

It is refreshing to see yet another user wanting to get into books rather than DVDs!

So here is a SHORT list due to time constraints:

Harry Lorayne Classics Collection (2 vols.) Mr. Lorayne has updated and rewritten his important early books. I am of the thought that you really cannot do card magic without being influenced by Harry Lorayne's works.

Harry Lorayne Best of Friends (3 vols.) In these 3 large books, Harry Lorayne has gathered contributions from the best of his friends. The effects are simply fantastic. Sadly, volume two is currently OOP, but if yo can find it, GET it. The other two volumes ARE still available.

Café regulars KNOW this one was coming: APOCALYPSE. Dean, this mammoth compilation (2880 pages over four bound volumes) reflects the best in magic from 1978-1997. The list of contributors reads like a who's who in the pantheon of magic

Richard Kaufman Collected Almanac. This ran for a period of years concurrent with Apocalypse, and while not nearly as large, still contains a GREAT selection of magic from the big hitters.

Roberto Giobbi Card College. Senor (or Herr) Giobbi has struck a fine balance for both the so-called visual learner and the old school book guys like me. Essential reading for the aspiring cardician

Ed Marlo Revolutionary Card Technique. Available now in one volume by Magic Inc. This is a compilation of Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique series. The series was originally published in smaller booklets.

David Regal: Not listing any titles here. Just get EVERYTHING from him. (Actually get everything from Harry Lorayne too)

Now, as far as "thought" goes, please don't rob yourself of great theory and effects by limiting yourself to a certain time period. Among the great resources in magic are the periodicals. Either hardbound or in digital format, MANY of the GREAT ones are now available including:

The Sphinx, The Jinx, The New Jinx, The Phoenix, The New Phoenix, Pentagram, New Pentagram, Hierophant, Kabbala, Epilogue, Hugard's Magic Monthly, Swami/Mantra, Pabular, Spellbinder, Bascom Jones MAGICK, Stanyon's Magic, The Gen, The Wizard, Magic Wand, The Tops, The New Tops, The Bat, and many others.

As I said a VERY short list, but enough to give you some direction and break your bank account!!

Best,
Vlad

PS If you REALLY want to get into transcendent thought, get ALL the Stewart James books! Heavy? You betcha! Will you learn something? More than you ever realised was possible!!!
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Harry's books are a goldmine, plain and simple. Start with the Classic Collection and go from there. I can't recommend Marlo's Revolutionary Card Technique highly enough. Jonracherbaumer.com has a large collection of Marlo material available to members at a yearly fee of about the same cost as one larger book. Also recommended.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to move forward (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL