The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2008 entrée: Adam Grace » » The Dilemma of the Renaissance Man » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Hi Adam,

I'm going to put to a question to you which I have been wishing to ask for a quite a long period of time now. I am still relatively new to magic (3 years into it). Also, the majority of my corporate experience lies in roving acting as well as my private jazz gigs. Forgive me if the question has been thrown at you before, but I am rather isolated when it comes to magical discussions (currently residing in Brisbane, QLD , Australia).

I am currently undertaking a Human Movement Studies degree (Kinaesiology for the yanks), working with the Australian Army as a Reservist, playing Jazz Saxophone around Brisbane, undertaking film work when it comes my way and indeed any acting gig when they present themselves (a fickle industry as you well know), completing voice over work for animation, rehearsing in musical theater gigs and ... performing my magic whenever I get a chance. I would like to refer to myself as a Renaissance man, rather then a Jack of All Trades. And, once again, as you well know, you can hardly rely on any one field of the afore mentioned to generate CONSTANT income. Unless your bl**dy lucky! Smile

For me, life is too short to be boring. I know that if I stuck with one single commitment/field of interest I would bore myself to death; no matter how much I may enjoy it as an entity. So I really begin to boil when people refer to me as some no-hoper who has no idea what he likes and is trolling the corporate circuit with his big-ol'-bag-o'-corporate skills simply to make a buck in any way possible.

Unfortunately, from what I have experienced, many magicians I have met show a unique animosity to this particular outlook on life. I simply put this down to the fact that they highly suspect I am one of those fools who make a living off gaffed decks... IE: One who has NO skill and shows no dedication whatsoever to the art. I guess I would describe it as a tribalistic attitude. Whilst the existence of such an animosity is typical towards anybody who undertakes a variety of 'different jobs in the industry', I have found a very different level of 'it' in magicians.

I sincerely love each area of my work and work my butt off 24/7 to perfect each and every aspect that displays professionalism within my chosen fields. My ultimate career goal is to become an actor (god for bid... what an industry... I must have a death wish) and I will be undertaking a bachelors degree within a year. I am very aware of it's fickleness and temperamental nature and it is not a decision I have taken lightly.

I have griped on about this too much already... Thanks for reading my garbled thoughts thus far! Extra kudos to you if you can actually make head or tail of what I am attempting to say Smile . I guess I would really like to see what you have to say about the opposition the Renaissance Man faces, as well as the industry in general.

Thanks so much Adam! Smile

A beer from Aussie-stralia for your time Smile
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
Adam Grace
View Profile
V.I.P.
LA, CA
149 Posts

Profile of Adam Grace
Chappo,

I feel you man. It sounds like we have a lot in common. I can understand your love for many arts.

All of these things shape you into a more well- rounded performer. As a magician, you can use your acting skills to design a character and create a real experience for your audience. Your music will help you understand timing, tempo, and structure of your magic act.

As you progress, all these talents begin to merge into one thing: Chappo. Your brand becomes special and all the years of hard work pay off. It does take some time to find that balance.

I had a manager who told me I needed to focus on one thing... only one career. I saw this point of view but didn't really FEEL it. After all, if you take one thing out of the equation, the rest suffers.

As far as opposition to YOUR way. I have a really great outlook on that. #$%^! them! Just keep pressing forward in search of your way. It is your understanding of life that makes you special and some people don't get that.

When I was a kid, I remeber magic, as a whole, being a supportive brotherhood. It seems that things have changes over the years. (By the way some of the most succesful corperate magicians use gaffed deck all the time.)

I always had this crazy idea that I would explore every avenue that I could. Through this exploration I would find out what I was meant to do.

I'll let you know when I do Smile
Chappo
View Profile
Special user
Bris Vegas
754 Posts

Profile of Chappo
Mate... Thanks for that. I really do appreciate the fact that there are more of us out there! I'm glad you agree that each sector of interest combines to form a symbiosis/equilibrium; IE: a final identity. I am very grateful for the insight you have provided!

Rest assured that my "**** 'em!" ethos will be forever amplified.

Thanks so much!

Chappo
The rules of a sleight of hand artist, Are three, and all others are vain,

The 1st & the 2nd are practice... And the 3rd one is practice again

- 'Magic of the Hands', Edward Victor (1940)
travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
As a musician as well as a magician--but one who makes his living from magic, not music--I would say that both fields offer different rewards that I enjoy. I wouldn't want to give up the great feeling of being in a room full of people dancing to my music. It can be very pure and joyous in a way that magic can't be, due to magic's built-in intellectual component. The experience of impossibility is also unique, though, and there's a kind of pleasure to be had from it that can't be had delivered any other way.

Having tasted the fruits of both, I wouldn't want to give up either. Not at this point in my life, anyways.

-Travis
Adam Grace
View Profile
V.I.P.
LA, CA
149 Posts

Profile of Adam Grace
Travis,

That's a great thought. Thanks for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2008 entrée: Adam Grace » » The Dilemma of the Renaissance Man » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL