The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Dove Worker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Now, I am thinking very hard about getting into doves. Some guys say it's not worth it and I want to know what you guys think. I live on a farm and I really love animals so doves would not be a very large challenge for my family. (Although pets inside the house is sort of prohibited. They will budge though.)

Now, if it is worth it, are there any videos or books you would suggest I read before purchasing the doves? I want to know as much as I can before I get the doves as that is what we do with most animals. Any help is greatly appreciated. Smile

Can anyone help me? I am new and desperate for answers. Dave possibly? Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Alex, you're asking a Dove worker if it's worth it. The answer to me is yes. Now, as I've mentioned in numerous posts here, the best videos to get, in my opinion, are the Tony Clark series. You'll get a lot of suggestions here I'm sure but Tony's is by far one of the best. If you can find them, Amos Levkovitch videos are also excellent. Both take you step by step through the care, feeding and training step. Tony's is a little more thorough in the training however.

You can keep your doves in the house or outside. If you only have a couple, they won't bother much in the house but if you get a lot like I have, (21), you may want to think about an outdoor aviary. I can help you with that if you decide to go outside.

I could go on for hours describing what to do and what not to do but the best thing right now is to get those videos. Most of your questions will be answered in them.
In the meantime, scan through the posts in this forum as you must have already done since you asked for my help specifically. I think if you read through them all, you would have all the information you need to go from the egg all the way to your first performance. Feel free to ask me anything you're not sure of. I'm glad to help.
Where the magic begins
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Well, I live in British Columbia and it is often quite cold here. I have a small aviary like room I used to keep ducks in. Could the doves live in there with a filter or possibly a heater? Or are they not very subjective to temperatures? Smile

My ring also has a large library of videos, and Ice McDonald has many videos about doves. Are they worth looking at?

PS: The room is outdoors and has a wire caged window.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves can withstand temperature variations as long as they are not in direct draft. I'd get something to put over the wire windows when it is cold or windy. Unless it is extremely cold, they should be fine. In very cold weather, the heater idea isn't bad as long as it doesn't make the room too hot.

Since you have access to Ice's videos, check them out. His information is valuable and will steer you right. I would still consider getting the Tony Clark videos though.
Where the magic begins
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Okay, also I was thinking that maybe I should put glass inside the window frames and then put blinds over them, so when necessary I can give them rays of sunshine. I read that their temperature shouldn't be more then 75 degrees. Smile

Dave, do you think that I should keep the doves within a cage or use a double dooring and spoil them with a large aviary within the hut? The hut will be insulated and with a good temperature. The aviary will also have the necessary perch and flat perch. Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Alex, how many doves are you planning to get? This makes a difference on whether to use an aviary or cages. It sounds like you've been reading the information on the pet dove web site. There is a lot of information on this site however not all of it applies to every dove worker. Take your time and don't try to learn everything at once. You'll drive yourself crazy.
Where the magic begins
VMC_Alex
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of VMC_Alex
Okay, thanks for the advice. I was planning on getting four doves. Or more if that's what you suggest. Smile
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
If you are planning on four or less, I would go with using a cage. If you get a large cage, all the doves can be kept in one however, doves tend to get territorial so you'll have to watch for fights. One regular bird cage will hold two doves comfortably. With so many doves, I use both methods. I have the ten birds I use all the time in cages of two because they are paired up. The other eleven are in an aviary. It's really a matter of choice. Amos Levkovitch keeps all of birds outside in an aviary. It's whatever works for you.

I missed your question about glass and blinds over the windows if you use the aviary method. A removable glass window would be a good idea if it gets windy or extremely cold, however, the blinds are unnecessary. Birds live outdoors and don't have windows or blinds. Doves need sunlight so I'd just leave the window unblocked all the time.
Where the magic begins
odile
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of odile
Dear Dave,
I was planning on customizing my own dove production coat but unfortunately, those shown in videos are usually 'cut-fit-for-men, not-women'. If it is possible, could you please reply to me either by sending an e-mail to: gymnast_joyce@yahoo.com or post it here?
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Odile: Glad to help if I can. I need more information about your coat. Are you trying to design one or convert something that you already have? What type of coat do you have or want?
Where the magic begins
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Does anybody know where I could speak to someone in person about doves and dove magic in Australia?

Regards,
the masked magician Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » New Dove Worker (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL