The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » A card trick mystery with little to go on (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
This is a challenge that has so few clues that it is probably completely unfair, but here goes. I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me identify the following (possibly obscure) card trick.

A friend of mine keeps encouraging me to relearn what he says is his favorite thing he ever saw me do. Here is the problem: I haven't done it in over 20 years and I don't have the slightest idea what it is

Here are the clues:

First, obviously it is at least 20 years old.

Second, the climax of the trick was reaching to the tabled deck and turning over the top four cards and showing them to be the four queens. The climax always came as a huge surprise. The effect had something to do with taking a few cards out of the deck, doing something surprising and or impossible with them, then turning over the queens for a final climax.

Hey, is that vague, or what?

Does any part of this sound at all familiar to anyone?

Could it have been something of Hamman's? LePaul? Doc Daley? Lorayne? Something from the Heirophant or Kabbala, perhaps? Jim Ryan? Cervon? Bueller? Bueller?

Seriously, this is making me crazy. If the trick is strong enough for my friend (a layman) to remember it after 20 years, I really ought to think about adding it back to my set list.

If I just had the slightest clue what it was.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
amazenyou
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of amazenyou
I'm not sure on the age of this effect, but could it have been something like The Shuffling Lesson (Long/Hollingworth, in AOA)?

C
Youth Writer - Linking Ring Magazine
If you know of a youth that should be featured in my article, let me know!
www.cliffbumgardner.com
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Just a shot in the dark. Maybe Roy Walton's Oil and Queens? From your description of "taking a few cards out of the deck, doing something surprising and or impossible with them, then turning over the queens for a final climax", Oil & Queens would fit.
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Thanks for the help so far, guys.

AOA definitely wasn't published when I did the effect (in 1981 or 1982), but it is possible that The Shuffling Lesson may have been around earlier. I'll look it up tonight when I get home.

Oil and Queens is from the right time frame, I think, so I'll think that one over--but I don't remember it being an Oil and Water type effect.

In fact, What I think made the climax so powerful, is that I *think* it was sort of a feint--that whatever preceeded it (a vanish, perhaps, or change, ala Reset or Underground Transposition?) may have made the spectators suspect the top of the deck, so when you turn over the queens it just seemed to come out of nowhere.

I hear that the memory is the second thing to go.

I wish I could remember what the first was....

:)
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Have you considered having your friend hypnotized, regressed twenty years, and interrogated on the details of the effect?
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Another trick that comes to mind is Ed Marlo's Triple Transposition. It's kind of a follow the leader effect with a kicker. I can't remember now, in which Marlo book to look for it. There's a version of it in Giobbi's Card College (called Transposition Excelsior in the german edition).
amazenyou
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of amazenyou
Quote:
On 2008-12-23 15:12, Rimbaud wrote:

AOA definitely wasn't published when I did the effect (in 1981 or 1982), but it is possible that The Shuffling Lesson may have been around earlier. I'll look it up tonight when I get home.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Hollingworth probably put it out long before AOA.

Any chance this might have just been something you jazzed up on the spot and not a published effect?

C
www.cliffbumgardner.com
john scot
View Profile
Special user
brighton, uk
585 Posts

Profile of john scot
Quote:

Quote:
On 2008-12-23 16:08, amazenyou wrote:
Yea, that's what I was thinking. Hollingworth probably put it out long before AOA.

Mr Hollingworth would have been 7 yrs old going on 8..? It wouldn’t surprise me but he didn't get into magic ‘til his teens!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Of course, spectators don't always remember exactly what happened either...

Maybe you should just do a "Spectator Cuts the Aces" routine for him with Queens and comment. "You've just got those Ladies on your mind again haven't you?"

Paul
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
Eyemazing from the stars of magic video starring Frank Garcia comes to mind....eyemazing is a 4 of a kind for a 4 of a kind switch
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Eyemazing is a very nice effect, and is from the right time period. But...that's not it. (Thanks, though!)

The climax was definitely a production of four queens--that much I know.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
Could it be Hide and Seek Kings from Garcia's Million Dollar Card Secrets
except the queen are found by the kings.
amazenyou
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of amazenyou
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 21:41, johnscot777 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
On 2008-12-23 16:08, amazenyou wrote:

Mr Hollingworth would have been 7 yrs old going on 8..? It wouldn’t surprise me but he didn't get into magic ‘til his teens!

hah! My bad. I always think of Hollingworth being so much older...

C
www.cliffbumgardner.com
sohim
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of sohim
Could it be the four thieves rob a bank and they end up on the ceiling trick?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » A card trick mystery with little to go on (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL