The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Origin of 1970's Chinese Coin Off Ribbon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
I'm digging through my magic from my teens and found a set of coins consisting of a 1968 half dollar with a hole through the center and a slightly smaller Chinese coin with a similar sized hole. The silver coin is gaffed so that it can be 'banged' to become two coins - the silver dollar and a Chinese coin. The coins come in a tight wooden turned box which also serves as the bang ring.

I believe the original routine calls for the gaffed silver and Chinese coin to be threaded on a ribbon or chop stick and the Chinese coin then penetrates the ribbon with all being examined. The Chinese coin is nothing like is being sold today or so that I've seen...it is a brass coin with two characters on each side, The only part of the coin that is black enamel are the characters themselves, the rest is metal.

Can anyone give me the likely provenance of this set? I don't frankly remember where or from whom I purchased it, though it might have been in Holland in the early 1970's. Happy to send photos.

Thanks!
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Paul Diamond made sets like this...or at least sold them at that time period.
A friend of mine that has passed away made those for Paul.

The routine is similar to a Jardin Elis ring routine from the 40's or 50's.
That is all I can remember right now.
Mobius
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There was also a Ken Brooke item - a companion to his Kaps Chinese Coin trick which had a coin threaded onto a ribbon or string penetrate. Different gaff though.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Origin of 1970's Chinese Coin Off Ribbon? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL