The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Can we meet? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rob
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of Rob
Quite recently I have been getting booking inquiries and the person who is calling or emailing suggests meeting up over lunch to
'see what I do'. The thing is, my brochure explains in almost explicit detail what I do (normal close-up stuff) and I send out copies of testimonial letters so that people can see I am half-decent. Despite this, they still want to get together and see a few tricks. Does anyone else get this?!
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Not often. Unless he/she's a wealthy eccentric who's going to give $1000 to entertain his pet poodles, I'd politely tell them that as a working professional, it's very hard for you, time from your many bookings (it doesn't matter how many you have, make it sound like a lot), just to show him a few tricks. Be very nice about it, of course, but I wouldn't do it unless you are guaranteed a gig.

Jeb (Sable)
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Wow, do I disagree with that! One of my very favorite methods for getting a gig is to give a brief live demo, as opposed to sending a video. I don't even have a video or a fancy brochure!

It has got me the gig MANY times, as a lot of magicians aren't willing to do it. And I know that, at least in my area, if they are interviewing and previewing, I'm gonna get the gig!

Sure, it's a half hour out of my day. It's also pretty much a sure booking for hundreds or even thousands of dollars, and it gives them the feeling that they know me. They are comfortable hiring me, and they can discuss in detail any special requirements, etc.

As I said, this is one of my favorite marketing ploys, and it gets me hundreds of bookings and thousands of dollars per year, that the guys who are mailing the videos and fancy brochures don't get!

In this day and age, people are bombarded by media of all kinds. I have found that, at least for me, personal contact, service, and a willingness to go the extra mile makes all the difference!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
It depends on the size of the gig and the distance involved. It also depends on the fees you are charging! For instance, if it would cost as much to travel to the meeting as your fee, it would be pretty dumb to go.

Otherwise Scott is right. Besides, I'll go anywhere for a free lunch. Smile

Paul Hallas.
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I give a demo if asked for providing that it does not cost too much. It has secured several bookings.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
spfranz
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
137 Posts

Profile of spfranz
If you were going to hire a singer, comedian, or any kind of entertainer for a function, would you hire them without seeing them or hearing them? I wouldn't. I guess my only exception would be if they came recommended by someone I respect.
Never ask a dog to watch your food.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Clearly, I'm not talking about travelling out of my area for a free demo. Hence, the phrase, "It's a half hour out of my day."

And while I think there are WAY too many magicians charging for their shows too soon, I think there are equally as many accomplished ones who don't charge enough!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mark the Balloon Guy
View Profile
New user
Tampa Bay Florida
27 Posts

Profile of Mark the Balloon Guy
That is why it is important to have a place you showcase at. A weekly restaurant is great for this.

Also you don't have to impress the person hiring you, they will see the reaction of others.

"Tap dancing on a hot griddle in bare feet is hard, if your toe nails aren't long enough."

[sorry just wanted to have a quote like everyone else]
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark theBalloon Guy
"Bad to theBalloon"
Munskin
View Profile
Loyal user
Cheshire, UK
297 Posts

Profile of Munskin
Personally, I think the best part of my promotion is...ME! If they are only half convinced about hiring me after the onslaught of the promotional blurb, I know they'll be impressed after seeing me in the flesh, so I take any chance I can to show them what I do (within reason, obviously!)
Jim Pace
View Profile
V.I.P.
Portland Oregon
556 Posts

Profile of Jim Pace
Some times people just want to meet you. Take your free lunch and get the gig...
Jim
"The drum that beats the loudest is always the most hollow."
Telemus
View Profile
Regular user
Everett WA
128 Posts

Profile of Telemus
Absolutly go do lunch. I get a lot of business exactly that way. Remember robots doing tricks would not be very interesting. So what I am trying to say is "You are what makes the magic special." They want to know that you are someone they can have around their guests. By the way, at this kind of lunch I never ask to borrow money for an effect. I don't want them to get the idea I am going to hustle their guests for cash. Make sure you have about 3 things you can do impromptu that are real good and tie together nicely while totally surrounded by people. Some of best contracts have been negotiated over lunch.
Go get 'em, have fun.
Telemus
corpmagi
View Profile
Special user
New York
725 Posts

Profile of corpmagi
I've gotten on a plane and traveled halfway across the country to meet with prospective clients. Of course you must qualify them making sure they are very serious about you and your show, but for the right gig for the right money, It's worth the trip. I don't think I've ever made one of these trips and not gotten the booking. I might not get on a plane to audition for a private show (I would meet them locally over lunch or other convenient place), but for a corporate meeting or trade show...I'm there.
A Modern Trade Show Handbook
www.trafficstoppers.com/handbook
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Can we meet? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL