The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2009 entrée: Dan & Dave Buck » » Credits Permissions and Rights » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Hello, thanks for taking the time to do this. Got to see you guys lecture along with Chad Nelson- it was a lot of fun- the most fast and furious "lecture" I have ever attended (but perhaps a bit too fast paced for me) Smile

I think we would all be facinated to learn how you go about attaining the rights and permissions to include various sleights and moves that may be unoriginal to you as part of your DVDs. Furthermore, what is involved or what is the process like when you go about crediting those who have helped to inspire original moves/ or varriations of moves and effects that appear on the DVDs?

Let's take for example one arbitrary item on one of the "Trilogy" DVDs-- say, Marc Desouza's "Shapeshifter" which appears on a DVD produced by Elusionist/ Brad Christian and is actually a variation of Oscar Munos' Piroette change which was originally published by Steve Beam in the Trapdoor. (Whew!)

How does one go about getting the permission to include it on the DVD? Do you begin by calling Brad, who talks to Marc, and then get's back to you? In a case like this do Oscar and Steve Beam have any say to it's inclusion? Is there a formal agreement or contract- are any monies exchanged, or does it come down to a verbal permission?

Another example- the many Sybil cuts and variations of such- on the DVDs does Chris Kenner get a "slice of the pie" so to speak?

An extreme example- Let's take "The Elmsley Count" - what are the parameters of including this- do you begin by contacting the estate of Alex Elmsley for permission and possible residuals--- or do you just lump it on there because it's "so old" and it's been around for so long.

I have exagerated my questions slightly for effect---but I am honestly interested in how you approach all of these issues- what the process is like and what your overall feelings are regarding crediting rights and permissions to original creators both ethically and practically.

In many respects- I think you guys are the cutting edge of magic- thanks for your unique contributions towards the advancement of the art form!

Best-

Mark M Walsh
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
davebuck
View Profile
V.I.P.
Los Angeles
68 Posts

Profile of davebuck
We believe in the importance of crediting and try our best to provide a resource for those interested in all our published works. Anytime we have published a trick, sleight or flourish that was not directly developed by us nor had any finesse or alterations been applied, we have contacted the creator for permission.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
And what happens then? Most of the time they just give you verbal permission and that's it?

I spent some considerible time to put that question together. Can't you elaborate a bit please?
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2009 entrée: Dan & Dave Buck » » Credits Permissions and Rights » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL