The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2009 entrée: Paul Draper » » Creating effects.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

moos
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of moos
Hi mr. Draper.
I´m kind of new to magic. Been doing effects created by others, starting to love performing magic. Now I´m working on my own effect. I find the presentation to be real tricky to master.

Do you as an experienced and well educated magician have any good tips on this subject?

Thanks!

Petter.
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
245 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
I would love more information from you, as this looks to be a specific question. Lets go on a journey. What is the desired end effect. i.e. to vanish a tiger (as opposed to the title of the trick).

What are some of the presentations that you have enjoyed for other effects?

Tell me more about the plot of your magical persona.

.... or would you prefer that I give you more general feedback?

-Paul Draper
moos
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of moos
I mainly do classic card close-up, inprompt magic. (Excuse my bad enlish).

This slide I stumbled upon when fooling arund with a deck of cards gave me an ideé.

This new trick of mine is close-up magic, a card selected by an spectator is buried in between two easy to remamber cards I use the two red kings and they goes into the middle of the deck. an other spectator chooses a card which is changed in my hand to the first spectators selected card. The second cards I found in between the two kings in the middle if the deck.
When performing this for a group of spectators on a party I got real good responds.
But at other times the responds is much less.

The thing is this cardeffect is kind of slow due to set up the deck as we goes along the effect, with out anyone finding out what I'm doing.

this made me trying to find a presentation to it, tried to watch diffrent magicians who might lead me in to the right track, but havn´t found any thing that make sens in my ears.

By the way, thanks for quick answer, and for you taking time trying to help me with this challange.

Petter
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
245 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
What are your hobbies / interests / favorite movies outside of magic?

Can you draw on any of these themes ?

The core theme here is a transposition. That one item or person travels to the location of the other. This may be a story of separation, of loss, or long distance relationships, of empathy with the other, of growth.

What calls to you. Why do you like this effect?

-Paul Draper
moos
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of moos
I like this effect cause the change of the cards are beautiful, its imprompt and ends clean, my slight is easy enough to do, so I could do it with a borrowed "old, almost unusable" deck. I love this trick because its my own.

Im one of those amatures you talked about in the itrick interview. I go to work and
I´m into cards... So not that much inspiration to get from other hobbies....

I like the theme of separation, reuniting, maybe both... That might be cool.

I would like this trick to be like your opening trick in, "Close Up Gallery of the Magic Castle".
I might be real easy to perform for, because I really love close-up ,magic. But I think that is a real good starter for a show.

I can se myself come in start talking, connect with the audiens, telling them a story where magic comes to life..... sounds nice.

Where do you get inspiration to your presentations?? it sounds like its all old stories from your life, in this show anyway.

- Petter
Paul Draper
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, Nevada
245 Posts

Profile of Paul Draper
Visit my post: Character & Story Creation: exercise 1 . Let me know if that helps.

Talk to me about what you find.

-Paul Draper
moos
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of moos
I did you list, found out that I mainly like things for its beauty and/or for being lagom (Lagom is a swedish saying exprecion that's very hard to translate. Its a mix of "Just right", "Not to much" "almost to much" "perfect ( in its most negative meaning)"

And I'm working on my own script right now, it goes slow...
I have started to watch my old favorite films and actually started to read real books (no magician books). trying to find inspiration.

I belive presentation is something I have thought was to hard for me right now, maybe I was a little scared to try out some of my goofy idees on friends as I'm sharing something of my self that I'm not sure of......

Im real spiked to try now.

I m starting to understand the reason of your questions above.... I thought it was hard before, its even harder right now when I know what to do, might sound strange but its true.

But this is probably a step most performers have to work on to get pass it, right??

Thanks mr. Draper. You thought me how to find inspiration, I guess its up to me to go and get it.

Thanks!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2009 entrée: Paul Draper » » Creating effects.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL