The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Seems like magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Here is a little somthing anyone can do, not really a card trick, and not really a mental demonstration, but kinda profound in a way. I have used it when someone in a group implies that I must be psychic ...

Indicate the deck he/she has been shuffling and ask that he name any 'rank' of cards, like "two's" or "Kings" He does, perhaps "five's". Now you ask that he hold the deck tightly in his hands while you "get in touch". You now haltingly name two other "ranks" -- say "eight's" and "Jack's". He now looks through the deck and discover that one or more of your 'inuitive' cards is sitting next to his, (top and boitton touching. Repeat at will.

I can't do the exact math, but it is a virtual certainty -- like you will miss one in twenty times. If that happens, ask that he hold the deck tighter and try and clear his mind from distractions -- and try again.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
164 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Arghh!!! That's crazy!!

As soon as I read that I had to pick up a deck and give it a try. And yes, with any combination there was a "touching card" nearly every time. Sometimes it occured several times.

I will have to work out the probability on this. This could be great for one of those impromptu situations where you just want to have a bit of fun.

Thanks for pointing it out.
mimo67
View Profile
Veteran user
France
322 Posts

Profile of mimo67
Thanks, great, but tried it 4 times and only hit 2 of 4...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~MiMo~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MagicMarker
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of MagicMarker
I read something like this once a long time ago. No idea where. (Possibly Dummies guide to magic now that I think about it, but maybe not.) It involved the spectator naming any two ranks, and the claim was that the odds of finding a pair of those ranks was pretty good. I actually worked out the math of it once. The napkin is long gone, but I think the odds with just two ranks was a bit less than 50/50.

Your suggestion of giving two possible ranks that the spectator's rank could match agains would obviously improve the chances a lot.

-Rd
tomboston
View Profile
New user
Fort Lauderdale, FL
90 Posts

Profile of tomboston
Hmmm... that is interesting. I need to work out the probabilites to see how often this would occur.
DreamofAces
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of DreamofAces
Very interesting I'll have to give that a try.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Thanks a lot funsway. This is a very cool mental effect!!!
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
LOL. I don't get it about the setup Smile
Magic comes through perception. -HS
Ruldar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Ruldar
I love it. Thanks Ken.
JoeMoustache
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JoeMoustache
I used to use that one so long ago I had forgotten all about it. I believe I read it in Scarne on Card Tricks, but can't be sure. Thank you for the reminder.
Renaldo
View Profile
New user
The Great Pacific NW
83 Posts

Profile of Renaldo
There's a similar gag in one of the Garcia & Schindler books, I believe. It works out pretty well. In theirs, they say that if the cards aren't touching they'll be at most 1 card away, and suggest giving a disclaimer at the beginning about that in your own style.
MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
Seen this effect taught in one of the youtube videos. I think people will really think that you are a magician. ( The effect is so clean ) However, they might figure it out after a while.
MagicRocks
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of MagicRocks
It is a good effect though...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Seems like magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL