The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Theatrical Magic an outgrowth of "Real Magic"? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Hello again Jeff, Do you feel that stage magic or conjuring is outgrowth of "Real Magic" or ceremonial magic?

Did one derive from the other, or are they seperate forms?

I don't expect you at this late hour to have to answer this question on your own, but can you provide some sources that would either uphold or refute the claim that the stage conjuror or one who performs tricks and illusions is really a decendant of the wizards and shamans of the past?

I apoligise for the simple way I have phrased this question but I am really just looking for some sources that might provide some insight to this inquiry.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
Jeff McBride
View Profile
V.I.P.
Jeff McBride
246 Posts

Profile of Jeff McBride
Yours in a HUGE question.

In a few of the other posts I share my thoughts on ritual and magic. For now I will point you toward to books that cover this area of research.

Following are the sources you requested:

Two books will give you the answers you are looking for.

MAGIC AND MEANING by Burger and Neale
I agree with Bob Neale in his essay "Many Magics", that modern conjuring may have evolved from shamanic and ritualistic practices.

THE DEATH AND RESURRECTION SHOW by Rogan Taylor

Rogan Taylor feels that there is a direct connection between the Shaman and the showman

Both of these books uphold the view that there is a connection between between ritual magic and performance art.

Read all of Sam Sharps' articles in the Linking Ring. THE MAGUS RITUAL explores this connection in a scholarly way as well. You will have to find these on the cd roms of the LR.

Yours in the invisible connections that can only be seen with inner eyes,

JEff
Let's keep in touch! I would love to send you my free, inspirational MUSE-LETTER. SIgn up here:
<BR>http://www.mcbridemagic.com/join/
<BR>
<BR>Creator of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxHcwrL6lZU]The McBride Magic and Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The May 2009 entrée: Jeff McBride » » Theatrical Magic an outgrowth of "Real Magic"? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL